V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'd like to install saddlebags on myt 1200S. According to both the catalog and the dealership, the 1200S does not accomodate (because of the rear shocks) any of the leather saddlebags as the supports will not fit.

I would like know if any of you have tried any of the non HD leather throw over saddlebags on either a 1200 S or any other XL for that matter. And, how did you mount them, tie them off etc. Did they do any damage to your paint, interfer with any other equipment, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I'd also be interested in any saddlebag info for the 1200S. I spoke with the people at LeatherLyke Saddlebags a few days ago and they said they would know in about three weeks if their product will work with the 1200S.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I went through the same issue. I was not crazy about leather or similar style bags on a Sport, and I also wanted versatility. The throwover types will damage the paint unless you take precautions against that. Plus I am not sure how the are secured, I would think you would need a mount to keep them from flapping around at speed. The downside is if you want to run without them, you have those big bars on the side of the bike, not to mention fitment problems on the Sport. The Leatherlyke site says their bags will fit a Sport, some at sportster.org have used them and like them. However, I do not want a permanent mounted bag, so the route I took was detachable sideplates/low uprights/sport rack, with the touring luggage system from H-D. See page 678 of the '03 parts and accessories catalog. Cost effective, and I can run with or without in a snap that way. I do not need a lot of storage room MOST of the time, so that seemed the best choice for me. Very versatile system. Another option is page 100 of the catalog, a throw-over style, but I do not like that look (something tells me you wouldn't like that look either), plus you got them bars on there when you run without. If you need the storage room and will use the bags a lot, the Leatherlykes are a good choice, I am puzzled as to why thay can't tell you they will work, unless the product has changed and they haven't updated the web site...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I didn't ask the LeatherLyke folks why it would be a few weeks before they could tell me about fitment.....that's just what they said. I'll check back in a couple weeks and see if they know more. The bags are made just north of San Antonio, about 80 miles from me. They invited me to see their op sometime and I can buy the bags there if I want. Leather like bags are easily detachable and you hardly see the fittings when the bags are off the bike.....just a couple of round pins sticking out from the bike rails. These short pins go through the back of the bag and are secured inside the bag by clips. If they fit, I think that's what I'll get. They come in plain and fringe/concho style.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The Sport that I just purchased a few weeks ago has leather saddle bag already on it. The guy just lifted the seat and threw them across the fender and tied them off under the seat. I wish I had a digital camera so I could get a shot of them so you could see it. The bags have a tag on the side that says Willie and Max. They have loops in the front of the bags that will allow you to tie them to the part of the frame behind the "ignition module" cover and what ever is on the other side. They just lay on the shocks and seem to work pretty good.

Hope this helps,

Jockeyshift

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jockeyshift, thanks for the response. Two other quick questions. When you say the previous owner tied them off under the seat, can you tell if he had to move the turn signals? i.e., I've read some saddlebags require you to relocate the directional signals. I don't want to have to do that if not necessary.

Second, about what size are the bags? I went out to the Willie and Max web site and they have many, many models. Can you give me a "rough" idea of the dimension of the ones which you have installed?

Oh, and one third question. You mention they are tied off on the front. Is there only a tie off for the front or also for the back? Looking at my "S" this morning, not sure how I'd tie off in the real.

Thanks again for your response. It is appreciated.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
BrianB75,

Sorry for the slow response. I've been riding and just got back home this morning :)

For your first question: The turn signals have not been moved.

Second question: The bags are not all that big. They measure 11 1/2" deep, 10 1/2" wide and 4" thick.

Third question: I guess that I was not looking carefully enough when I posted yesterday, but there is also a tie off in the back of the bag that the previous owner tied directly to the turn signal stem.

Aa Ha!!! Just went to the web page myself and found them. Here is a link to the same bags that I have. http://www.willieandmax.com/sb230.html

You can see the tie off thingies that are located about three inches from the top of the bag. They are also on the back of the bags, which is where he mounted them to the turn signals. He just use a black tie wrap around the turnsignal stem and hooked it thru the tie off thing.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jockeyshift

1 - 7 of 7 Posts