V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife can barely get her foot between my caboose and the chrome saddlebag guard,

so i been wanting the HD ones that do not have the top, but they are $120 or so.

not the 49088-01 (with the droopy shoulder)
but the 46565-04 (just hold front of muffler support - no guard)

been looking on E-bay, for a stock set, cut top off, weld up, krylon it gloss black, mama's happy.

mama ain't happy with the price of used saddlebag guards on e-bay, she'd rather spend that on a hairdo & nails & donuts & foofoo coffee.

how are guys getting around this?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302286949&bmUID=1143102393854&bmLocale=en_US

Saddlebag Support Kit

Eliminate the rear saddlebag guard for a sleek, custom appearance. This kit replaces the loop saddlebag guard with a bolt on chrome-plated support leg. Kit includes all necessary mounting hardware.

46565-04

Fits '97-later Touring models.

MSRP US $119.95

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
04ctd said:
mama ain't happy with the price of used saddlebag guards on e-bay, she'd rather spend that on a hairdo & nails & donuts & foofoo coffee.

how are guys getting around this?
[/I]
Well how I get around it with my wife is I take her sister. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I let mine make her own decision. If she rather get a haircut than be comfortable on the bike.. so be it. ;)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Go to the parts department and order the rails from Road King Custom. $75 for the pair. The only thing extra that comes in the kit are a couple bolts and instructions. No brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davemhughes said:
Well how I get around it with my wife is I take her sister. :D
is your wife's sister available Saturday morning for a breakfast/ride/lunch/ride?

i will be free while the wife is getting her hair/nails done... :dunno:

the custom rails sound like the deal, i did not know that. tks!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
thatoldbike said:
Go to the parts department and order the rails from Road King Custom. $75 for the pair. The only thing extra that comes in the kit are a couple bolts and instructions. No brainer.

any chance you have a part number for these, i went to my local stealership and if it aint in the 2006 catolougue they have no clue about it, mucho thanks in advance.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
JohnyRRR said:
thanks but that is the $119.00 set i am looking for the $75.00 set for the road king custom
Then go to the parts department and order the left and right saddlebag support for the Road King Custom. Its not a kit, you have to order the parts. The only thing the kit has extra is instructions and bolts. No brainer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
04ctd said:
... the HD ones that do not have the top, but they are $120 or so.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302286949&bmUID=1143102393854&bmLocale=en_US
I recently installed a set of RK rail/guards on my 05 RG. The support-only bag rails I took off appear to be what your link shows (not that the 2" visible is conclusive...).

I got the RK rails for $50 plus shipping; I'd be happy to do same for you on my support rails....

...`course, to keep the karma flowing, you should then sell your rail/guards for $50+shp, dontcha think...? ;^)

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here's some of what we traded, the stock RK stuff vice the RG stuff

the Road Glide parts are better than the stuff in the catalog.

remounting & aligning the Bags is a pain,

leave it all loose, put on bags, then tighten stuff.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
gdkenoyer, are you saying you have exactly what ive been looking for? im in if you want $50 for them plus shipping. these are the rails to hold the bags up with no gaurds whatsoever? pm me with details:rolleyes: [email protected]

gdkenoyer said:
I recently installed a set of RK rail/guards on my 05 RG. The support-only bag rails I took off appear to be what your link shows (not that the 2" visible is conclusive...).

I got the RK rails for $50 plus shipping; I'd be happy to do same for you on my support rails....

...`course, to keep the karma flowing, you should then sell your rail/guards for $50+shp, dontcha think...? ;^)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts