V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay........... I'm new:( I don't even have my bike yet BUT I'm looking at buying some things for it before it gets here. :) I'm looking at getting some saddle bags BUT I have no idea what I'm looking at :confused: I'm getting the 03' Night Train and I would like to get some saddle bags that come off the bike real easy. Okay, what I want is some saddle bags that don't ruin the look of the bike, that don't get in the way of the pipes, that I can put on and take off in just a couple of secounds, and that are leather. ;) I know I don't ask for much, do I? :D Another question: Do all saddle bags (soft) need that support bracket under the bag? Is there a kit that you can do a quick release? I guess I want the bags for the trip, then be able to take the bags off when you hit the Motel. Then you can cruise the town with no bags on! :D Any help out there? Thanks people!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask and I shall receive!!! WOW, thank you ;) Now for the bags????? :confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am new here too, have a FatBoy on order (build next month) and wondered about the same thing. First thing, what are you planning to put in the saddle bags on trips? I looked at the FatBoy bags and they aren't very big. Road Kings and Touring bike bags are much bigger. I am leaning toward the T-Big for the sissy bar that someone posted somewhere(http://www.t-bags.com/pages/products.las) or something like the Harley Davidson throw overs (These are for Sportster, none for Softail http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=266063&bmUID=1034000423937).

I am also trying to decide on which detachable windshield.....

Oh yeah, I have a friend with a WG that bought a $100 set of saddle bags... 1 year and the buckles rusted and the bike's never seen the rain.

John

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I could get away with small bags. I have thought about it........... A little :( most of my trips will be just over the weekend. So just a change of cloths and a tooth brush and I'm good to go!! :D Now the Wife on the other hand........:confused: :eek: :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
The bags from Osprey Limited look great for the price. This is what I am going with on a 03 Fatboy

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I sold a guy a set of black Touring bags last year. He was a machinist and made brackets for them to go on his Fat Boy. Actually looked good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got Osprey (the saddlebags.net link above), too. Nice small shop, great quality, less expensive than many others. In addtion to the 'bags by bike', check out the vintage stuff he does. I put a pair of Chieftans on my dyna, he substituted ghost brackets for his system for a little more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey NCFatboy, I ran into the same situation with my 2000 fatboy, the factory bags were to small. I ended up putting a different set of pipes on the bike which really opened up what kind of bags to put on. I looked at different sizes and decided to cut each size out of cardboard and hold it against the bike to see how much area it took up. I ended up going with a set from Ace Leathers. If you buy directly from their website then no dealer or catalog will beat their price. If you don't want to go with a different set of pipes my other reccomendation is to go with the T Bags that slide over the sissy bar on the bike. I have both saddle bags and a T bag for those long weekends with me and the wife packing clothes. Just my .02.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I looked at a lot of web sites befor deciding on the bags at www.leatherworksinc.com . I liked the 111p bags for my '02 FLSTF. Doesn't require relocated turn signals (I hate the look of the HD relocation kit bracket adapters--the stock turn signals look good IMHO). Also, you can get ghost brackets to work with them, and they are good quality bags that you can get with spots, etc. You do need other than stock pipes. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey Top, if you get fixed bags, get a medium size. But if they are going to be detachable you might as well get a large set. You will probably carry some tools, a cable lock, a flat kit, parchute cord, disc brake lock, extra gloves, rain pants, rain jacket, spare goggles, spare ammo, a set of maps, windshield cleaner spray and rags, cell phone, palm pc, camera and spare film, flashlight, Honda bike cover, sunscreen, do-rag or ball cap... well, you can see that if you're doing an overnighter there is some stuff to carry. And this don't include mama's stuff. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Jefro,
OMG that was funny! :D But you forgot the kitchen sink! :eek: I posted this a long time ago and someone pulled it to the top again. I still haven't got bags yet. I've been to busy buying chrome! :D Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts