V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with saddle bags on the Vrod? I am looking at the Harley Hard type and Leather as well as the Corbin bags. The Vrod is so good looking that I hate to clutter up the bike, but I need the space commuting to work. Therefore I am looking for the right looks or something that is easy and quick to remove and re-install. The HD hard bags claim a "few minutes with the right tools".

Any experience with any of the above?

·
Registered
249 Posts
LDunville,
I have been struggling with the same problem. I presently have the H-D leather bags. The bags themselves don't take long to remove but the brackets they attach to are a pain in the ass to get on and off and there is no way you can leave the brackets on without the bags. I agree the whole saddlebag thing is ugly. Fortunately, I usually ride alone so I try my best to get away with a T-Bag over the backrest pad and a back pack in necessary.
When I'm with the wife I just have to take saddlebags in order to carry her make-up. I am seriously thinking of the new-style Corbin Beetlebags. They're expensive but I think they are the best looking.
What also worries me is how quickly Corbin re-designed the V-Rod beetle bag. I bet if I order them today they are going to be replaced by someting better tomorrow.

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the curse of having such a good looking bike! Almost anything we do is taking a step backward. I anxious to hear from someone about the ease of removing the hard side bags.

Larry

·
Registered
603 Posts
LDunville, I couldn't have said that any better. I have taken very carefull deliberation before altering anything. There are some parts, however, which definitely were fine tuned in the Department of What Can We Make Look Really Bad. Like the footpegs, belt guard, shift linkage and turn signal lenses.

Have you all considered real saddlebags, that is, like ones you can throw over your horse ?

http://www.carolinaleatherworks.com/leatsad.html

JMS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey guys, I have the HD hard bags. I like the look a lot better than the leather, which just doesn't match the futuristic appearance of the VR. They aren't very roomy, and after a while the bag seals started to leak (dealer replaced), but I couldn't imagine not having them. I have never had them off the bike so I'm used to the way it looks, as a matter of fact I'm SO used to it, the bike looks "naked" and "skinny" without them. I had the second one sold in the Cleveland area, so mine was on the road long before any others started showing up . My friends were so used to seeing it with the bags that they all say they prefer that look. Just my 2cents!

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you run the leather Bags, Be carefull with the left side. The lower lip will hit the belt guard and mark the pulley!
Stay Tuned: Steve

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
ChopperSteve said:
If you run the leather Bags, Be carefull with the left side. The lower lip will hit the belt guard and mark the pulley!
I heard that the early bags did this, but that it's been fixed. I'v ebeen checking my bags, and so far, no problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Saddle Bags

I just bought some HD throwovers and just sit them half on the passenger part of the seat and the other half coming down towards the front where I sit. That way I am not really sitting on it at all, rather, just leaning back against it. I cant feel it at all and it holds more than enough for a day (lunch, locks, camera, books, whatever) When I get where I am going I just throw them over my shoulder and leave the bike without a worry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Saddle Bags

Paul Beattie said:
I just bought some HD throwovers and just sit them half on the passenger part of the seat and the other half coming down towards the front where I sit.
Great idea. :) I've wanted to try something like that, but wasn't sure it would work. Which HD bags (name or part #?) are you using? Do you happen to have access to a digital camera to post a picture of the setup? I was wondering what holds the bags onto the bike....is there some sort of strap?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Throw overs

I dont remember the part # but I think I saw them in the 2003 Catalogue. I will have a look and yes I have a digital camera so I will try to take a picture in the next few days. I just didnt want to "bolt on" anything to the bike as this takes away from the clean lines, in my opinion. I wanted something functional that came with me off the bike when I park it, for security reasons, and also allows me to carry some things with me (ie camera, water bottle, food) and gives me a place to carry my lock, kickstand coaster ( for soft ground, gravel parking, or hot asphalt etc.) Each bag is connected to the other with a leather section that overlaps and lets you adjust how much space is between each bag, depending on how high or low you want each bag to sit (ie you dont want it resting on hot pipes so you shorten the distance accordingly) Then you tie them together through the preset holes just as you would tie up a shoe and you are done. You can also "bolt on" these bags by removing the rear part of the seat, placing the bags, and then remounting your seat over top. Now they are "permanent" so to speak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts