V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tracked down my intake leak to the seals and pulled the intake off to find both ends had good bends in them.

From asking around it sounds like there’s two different intake seal sizes, one thicker than the other and by using the thicker one incorrectly it can cause the intake flanges to crush in when tightening the bolts down.

So I’m shopping for a new intake and mine on the V111 is stamped 16-1712s. I shopped around for that and found some used ones on eBay but nothing new. And the used ones have dual vacuum ports near the carb mount flange that my current one does not.

I also came across the chart attached that lists a totally different manifold for the V111. I’m running a mikuni 45 so do I have the correct manifold and should I buy the same stamped intake or one from the chart or something else?

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
553 Posts
So I tracked down my intake leak to the seals and pulled the intake off to find both ends had good bends in them.

From asking around it sounds like there’s two different intake seal sizes, one thicker than the other and by using the thicker one incorrectly it can cause the intake flanges to crush in when tightening the bolts down.

So I’m shopping for a new intake and mine on the V111 is stamped 16-1712s. I shopped around for that and found some used ones on eBay but nothing new. And the used ones have dual vacuum ports near the carb mount flange that my current one does not.

I also came across the chart attached that lists a totally different manifold for the V111. I’m running a mikuni 45 so do I have the correct manifold and should I buy the same stamped intake or one from the chart or something else?

View attachment 270764

The chart you reference is irrelevant for your Mikuni application. The S&S catalog calls out a couple different manifolds for CV and Mikuni applications. Look at the cylinder lengths in that chart. Make sure you source a manifold of the correct length for use with that Mik45. Also, not sure of the root source of your chart but that is not the current chart. You should be looking at the catalog that canoe downloaded or viewed online at the S&S website.

The dual vacuum ports is a non issue. If your application does not require both ports then simply put a cap on the unused port.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks turbo. I got ahold of S&S and we walked through it. I guess the stamped number 16-1712 covers several “model” intakes so I had to find the three digit engraved number on mine which was 398 and of course they don’t make that anymore but the 397 intake should work, if I can find one haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts