V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing my stock carb on my 2001 Night Train for an S&S Super E carb. I was wondering if any one has any experience with this mod? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I see now that S&S has a new part that will allow me to use my existing throttle cable, one less thing to worry about. :D .

·
old timer
516 Posts
S&S carbs are OK, but they are gas hogs. You'd get better performance by going to the SE CV Carb or the Mikuni HSR 42.

The S&S is great for full throttle operation but lacks the ability to get mileage and doesn't deal with altitude and temperature changes near as well as the other 2. Unless you have some other mods done to your engine, I'd stay with the stock carb just have it upgraded with the SE Kit.

The SE Breather kit and carb mod is a sure boost in performance without the sacrifice in fuel mileage.

manny

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The S&S is a great carb. I ran one for a few years. If set up properly you shouldn't have to adjust at high altitudes. I took one over the Italian/Swiss alps and didn't have any troubles. BUT, I went back to my CV. The S&S is just to much carb unless you got big inches and horsepower. That carb suck ALOT of air. If you stay mello, you can get comparable gas mileage, but with a CV, you can open it up and still get great mileage. With an S&S I've done as good as 50+ mpg and as bad as mid 20's mpg with the same settings, but very different speeds . It's a very tempermental carb. Like Manny said you will be better off with a modified CV or from what I've heard, Mikuni, but I have no real world experience with them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve used both a S&S G carb and the Mikuni HSR42. Both work well as intended.

The one most likely to work correctly "out of the box" without stumbling is the Mikuni.

I replaced a properly tuned stock carb on my FLHR Evo with the Mikuni and the difference in perfomance is staggering.

You can buy the Mikuni kit complete for $281.00 on line. Very easy to install.

Keep

·
Registered
17 Posts
Carbs

I have installed countless S&S carbs and many Mikuni carbs. First you have to decide what kind of power are you looking for. Slide or vacuum operated carbs (Mikuni or stock CV) keep the air flow high at low RPM and keep a good mid range verse S&S (Butterfly type) are good for top end power. You see, slide carbs vary the venturi size to keep air velocity high, high air velocity promotes better fuel atomization. This is good, BUT if you are looking for real POWER which most of us are, you just cant beat S&S. No matter which carb you decide to buy, always remember one thing, TUNING MEANS EVERYTHING. The more horsepower you want the more FUEL and AIR it needs. HORSEPOWER and FUEL MILEAGE DO NOT GO HAND AND HAND. I see this all the time. Always keep in touch with your motor, do LEAKDOWN tests and SPARKPLUG readings and Tune to those readings.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
have the same question as natpy23 does anyone else feel like manny does
Yes, I think Manny is being very diplomatic.
The S&S is a very primitive carburetor. It's strenghts are in applications without transitions like drag racing or in engines that require massive amounts of fuel. Many swear by them but it's probably because they have not taken the time to figure out the more sophisticated carburetors.

Both the CV's and the Mikuni's are very good carburetors, with the Mikuni giving slightly better throttle response but requiring more throttle modulation, and I can understand those that prefer it over the CV in particular on lighter bikes, or TT bikes (tavern to tavern), but for my money I'll stick with modified CV's.

The CV's are unique in the sense that they allow you to over carburate (ie. using the larger 44 even in stock engines) without ill effects, and make a few ponies on top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put a Super E on my spoprty 3 years ago. Have had no problems, was easy to tune, and was the best thing i ever did for my bike. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
63 Posts
S&S is good for me

My experience with S&S has been very good .. some things to keep in mind .. there are two S&S carbs (actually more but let's keep it at E and G) .. the G is designed for big motors with big HP and big gas needs .. to put one on a stock or mildly modded motor will lead to endless problems and this may be why many in the thread are down on S&S ..

the E is for stock or mildly modified motors .. and will provide a nice HP increase .. it is indeed a simple (primative???) carb and that's a good thing since the KEY to good perfomance is tuning and a simple carb is usually easier to tune ..

that having been said many do not understand carb tuning and as a result have poor results .. assuming reasonable driving on my EVO motor with a mild cam and drag pipes I get close to 50 mpg .. if I am on it all the time the mpg drops to 35 - 40 .. after getting the motor warm I can roll the throttle in third at 25 (not recommended) and get NO stumble, pop, etc .. but the jetting has to be right and is best done by an experienced tuner and if possible on a dyno .. do that and I think the S&S will be a better choice .. YMMV

Tawgley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts