·
Registered
3,155 Posts
S&S Site has everything you need...
Wondering where yer gonna place yer Knee with a "B" on an FXR... BTDT

·
Registered
22 Posts
You sure you want a B? If it is all you have go with it. I have run a B before I hated it. It is great for wide open throttle riding otherwise it is big, sticks out far, no accelerator pump so it lags on acceptation and when cruising it spits, burps and hiccups

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
You sure you want a B? If it is all you have go with it. I have run a B before I hated it. It is great for wide open throttle riding otherwise it is big, sticks out far, no accelerator pump so it lags on acceptation and when cruising it spits, burps and hiccups
The one I had on my shovel wasn't that bad. You just had to remember to roll the throttle. Ran great.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
  • If you have the money put a thunder jet on it, drop down the main jet one size. It will run much better. That is the problem with them you get a big enough jet for top end and in the intermediate range it is to rich it hesitates and stumbles if you get the mid range set you lose top end. A thunder jet supplies fuel in the higher rpms so the main can be smaller.

·
Registered
114 Posts
  • If you have the money put a thunder jet on it, drop down the main jet one size. It will run much better. That is the problem with them you get a big enough jet for top end and in the intermediate range it is to rich it hesitates and stumbles if you get the mid range set you lose top end. A thunder jet supplies fuel in the higher rpms so the main can be smaller.
Yep... No experience with the B but that worked real well on my G. In fact I run 2 o n the G. IIRC there are two Thunder Jets -- a "regular" and a bigger one.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
There is actually Much more to Properly tuning with a Thunderjet... Luckily Zippers has a very good set of Instructions...
I have run up to 3 Thunderjets... for specific applications..
But... For the Street... I cannot see where a good ole CV can be beat!!! For Much less $$$

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
if your engine is stock and small cubes,, a thunderjet may not be a good idea,,, ive used them on E carbs,,, but? do you need it? probably not..

and yes,, tuning a thunder jet is much more involved than a stock B, E, or G carb...
stock engines run fine with the CV carb,,, the CV and S&S carbs respond differently to throttle input,,, the CV covers the riders mistakes of too much throttle at low rpm,,, the S&S complains by spitting and sputtering, the throttle must be rolled into,, not slammed open... the E is a great carb for smaller engines from 88-100 inch..

i did a 96" engine for a close friend. he constantly complained about the S&S carb,,, so one day i said lets go for a ride,, i want to see what is happening,,, i rode next to and slightly behind him,,,he was slamming it open in 3rd gear, at 35mph,,,,, when i told him the problem was him,,, he looked like i just kicked his sac,,, but he learned the carb did not like low speed wide open throttle...

now on the other hand,, my 113 engine took the thunder jetted G carb,, the difference was, the larger engine benefitted feom the t jet.. where it mat over fuel a smaller one...the t jet works on the same principal as a CV carb,, in that the t jets,, activation is based on engine vacuum

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
if your engine is stock and small cubes,, a thunderjet may not be a good idea,,, ive used them on E carbs,,, but? do you need it? probably not..

and yes,, tuning a thunder jet is much more involved than a stock B, E, or G carb...
stock engines run fine with the CV carb,,, the CV and S&S carbs respond differently to throttle input,,, the CV covers the riders mistakes of too much throttle at low rpm,,, the S&S complains by spitting and sputtering, the throttle must be rolled into,, not slammed open... the E is a great carb for smaller engines from 88-100 inch..

i did a 96" engine for a close friend. he constantly complained about the S&S carb,,, so one day i said lets go for a ride,, i want to see what is happening,,, i rode next to and slightly behind him,,,he was slamming it open in 3rd gear, at 35mph,,,,, when i told him the problem was him,,, he looked like i just kicked his sac,,, but he learned the carb did not like low speed wide open throttle...

now on the other hand,, my 113 engine took the thunder jetted G carb,, the difference was, the larger engine benefitted feom the t jet.. where it mat over fuel a smaller one...the t jet works on the same principal as a CV carb,, in that the t jets,, activation is based on engine vacuum
Eloquently Spoken...

·
Registered
1993 Harley-Davidson FXRP
72 Posts
Personally I would take the stock cv carb over the S&S . I have a stock cv on my 93 fxrp and it goes like a raped ape. I think Everyone has there own preference between the cv, S&S & mikuni. But unless your motor is seriously built , the stock cv is all your really need.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I ran a B for many years on my FXR but it has the accelerator pump kit (which uses the Bendix pump and I got tired of the cheap aftermarket boots disintegrating and (much less so) the leather cups wearing out. It has a Thunderjet too and all that worked well but I put it together before stock CV carbs existed. I switched to Super Es over time for the Keihin-style pumps and shorter length and but in OPs place I'd run a CV. I wouldn't put any money into a B unless I was building a pre-Evo model and wanted period appearance. I've had Bs on other Evos and Shovels and they work OK without the additions but they were originally intended as a race carb.

All my Evos get Ram Jett one piece solid intakes (no leaks, no intake seals, no carb braces and no problems. I've lifted the engine with a sling around the manifold, try THAT with any other intake! ) and I I switched to a CV I'd use one of the flange kits to adapt it though a few Ram Jett CV intakes were made. I use the "E" stamped models on big twins and though there are other stampings it's common and a safe recommendation. Thick gray Fel-Pro gasket paper handles the gaskets.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I also have had great experiences with the "B"... But Never needed an accelerator Pump... I even disabled some on Bendix...[which is as Good as a B] And we Never use an Accelerator pump on the Strip...on anything..
Only really Needed for Throttle Jockying Blip Blip TaterChip!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts