V-Twin Forum banner

S&S on evo frame

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tbhickey 
#1 ·
I want to install an S&S motor on my 1988 heritage FLST, how can I tell which motor will fit my bike if buying from private party? Does anyone here have an S&S motor for sale, bigger than 80" and smaller than 124"?
Thanks
Ride Safe

#5 ·
Study the other relevant details since you'll have the opportunity to upgrade other 1988 parts which are inferior to later pieces, like the transmission, and Softail parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. It's an easy machine to work on. The easy way is take your time, get all the parts to replace the drivetrain, then swap it all in one shot. The later splined shaft transmission and far superior Denso starter (more powerful stock than the 1988 stock Hitachi and with many even stouter aftermarket options) are effortless to install since you'll have the engine and primary drive removed.

#6 ·
good advice so far,,, you should listen,,, the later model transmissions take the late clutch,, and the later primary allow the newer starter as mentioned,,, the stock clutch cannot handle a 124,, or any of the super sidewinder or super sidewinder+ engines.. honestly ive found the 117" engines to be durable and produce excellent power,,, much more than most riders can utilize to its full potential..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.