V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wants to sell me a 100" S&S motor for my FLHT. Are these reliable motors? He said he shaved the flywheel also. I have a 42mm Mikuni carb kit will that be big enough I was kind of thinking 45-48mm. Lastly what cam and exhaust would be recommended? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
In general, S&S products are top notch.

Why did yer buddy "shave" the flywheel?

What cams are in there now?

What's he asking?

How well do you know him?

Need more info.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
S&S motors and parts are top notch, especially if assembled by S&S. If assembled by S&S, you know all the internals are S&S also. If not, someone could use S&S cases and stuff it with low end internals and call it an S&S motor.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
why is your friend selling it???my answer would totally depend on the price though. Whatever you do, like wyo said, make sure you get a FULL history report.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy was going to put the motor in his FXR but it got stolen. He said he bought it unassembled,(which it still is), has a clear title, and he said he would include whichever cam I wanted. The price was about $4000.00 which includes assembly and installation but we are going to do a trade with my construction company since he's building a house this year. I know him pretty well, but I also know being head tech at the local HD dealer he gets alot of deals.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Kenz, I ran a 100" S&S (evo style) motor in my 1993 dresser. Smoothest I've ever had. It's a square motor (4" boreX4"stroke). I ran S&S .600 cam, Super G carb, and a Thunderheader, = 102hp/103tq. It was the low compression model, and ran on panther pi$$ (any gas that could be found). Why the flywheels were lightened I don't know, because the relatively short 4" stroke rev's pretty quick the way it comes. If it's all S&S $4grand is not out of line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. He said he shaved the flywheel because he was going to put it in his FXR and said that he had just started to shave it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the advise I'm going to make sure all the internals are S&S,and make sure the flywheel is balanced. He did tell me he sold the rocker boxes when he still intended on putting it in his bike because he liked the look of harley rocker boxes, but I don't think that matters? Is a Mikuni 42mm big enough for this motor, I bought it when we were originally going to hop up my evo? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts