V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will post sound clips shortly but I struggled finding any feedback on the S&S MK45 Slip ons when used with a 2017 Milwaukee eight engine. I am still using the stock headpipe but I did pre-order a Fuel Moto Jackpot 2:2 today.

I started with the Rinehart 4" slip-ons and in my opinion you can never go wrong with these. The build quality is excellent, the black end caps are classic and they have that distinctive Rinehart sound. That being said they are relatively quiet and have a low DB rumble.
But having said that this is the second new bike that I started with Rinehart Slip ons and replaced them within a week. Just not deep enough for me.
Now I will say that this may not be the case IF you change the headline. But given stock head pipe and a stage 1 AC just left feeling that the Rineharts would have benefited from more air flow.

So I sold those (one of the biggest advantages of starting with Rienharts is that you will always find a buyer) and I bought a set of new S&S MK45.

WHAT THE F4%$%*@. Now this is what I am talking about. Very deep and throaty, granted they are 4.5" diameter vs the Rinehart 4" diameter but they are AWESOME. Same head pipe very different sound.

One comment to note that the pre-2017 slip-ons apparently came with a removable "DB reducer" which was essentially a quiet baffle that could be removed very quickly. The 2017 does not have that baffle out of the box. I imagine you could order one if desired since the mounting holes are there inside the pipe but I dont understand why you would.

Fit and finish was as good as any muffler I have ever used. Came with with clamps which was nice but unnecessary and you have to use our old hanger bolts.

As noted will post sound clips but these are deeper and heavier sounding than the Bassani DNT mufflers that I like as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cool! i am picking up my new bike 17' FLHRU on Sat. 4/15 with these installed at delivery....sight unseen totally based on S&S past experience and youtube video.
Thanks for the heads up! (stage 1 and S&S air cleaner kit will be installed also!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I absolutely loved my RC 45's on my 09 103 FLHRC, I also put a set on my 14 Slim.
The fit n finish is first class, both sounded awesome.
Give em a look ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just traded up to a 2017 Road King Special. The dealer was definitely waving the S&S MK45 flag for the M8 engine, so I had them installed before taking delivery of the bike.

Well, I'm not too inthused about them. Coming from having a 103 on my last two bikes with V&H Power Duals, Stage 1 & Monster Rounds, I'm accustomed to more sound. HD voids the warranty if you change the head pipes.

Do the S&S mufflers "break-in" and develop more sound? Very quiet to me, especially at idle. Seems like you have to get into the RPM's to get any sound.

I'm already thinking about swapping the S&S MK45's out for TAB Performance BAM sticks with the Zombie Baffles.

Does anyone have any experience with TAB? Or any feedback you can provide on the S&S?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just traded up to a 2017 Road King Special. The dealer was definitely waving the S&S MK45 flag for the M8 engine, so I had them installed before taking delivery of the bike.

Well, I'm not too inthused about them. Coming from having a 103 on my last two bikes with V&H Power Duals, Stage 1 & Monster Rounds, I'm accustomed to more sound. HD voids the warranty if you change the head pipes.

Do the S&S mufflers "break-in" and develop more sound? Very quiet to me, especially at idle. Seems like you have to get into the RPM's to get any sound.

I'm already thinking about swapping the S&S MK45's out for TAB Performance BAM sticks with the Zombie Baffles.

Does anyone have any experience with TAB? Or any feedback you can provide on the S&S?

Thanks
Replaced Vance & Hines monster rounds with Krome Werks, much better & deeper sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts