V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the S&S IST "Intellegent Spark Technology" ignition module? At over $550 msrp (after you get the correct harness for your bike) it is quite a bit more than other adjustable curve ignitions. I noticed that S&S has a longer warranty on their engines that use the IST vs other modules, so they obviously feel it has value.

Just wanted to get some opinions on its worth and if there were any known problems or bugs with them.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I bought one off of a member here, I have not had much luck with it, I have to send it in to get the latest firmware, but I would say that it never really updated (learned) the bike, lots of pinging all the time, gave me a map sensor error, so I replaced the map sensor, now I got a knock sensor error, I am hoping that it will be fixed with the firmware update, supposedly with a mik carb rattle it affects the knock sensor and this was addressed with the upgrade. All in all probably a good tuned adj. ignition is probably a cheaper and better way to go.

I have talked to others with them and they are happy so maybe they will chime in.

·
wanderer
172 Posts
I have one on my 04 FLHT- 117" - this build has about 3,000 miles on it and have had absolutely no negative issues with this ignition system. I have not dyno'd it yet, but it starts easily, pulls hard, and does not ping.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I just put one on my 00 FLHTC(it was an "I") and I'm also running a MIK 42 so far so good. It has been pretty cold scince I put it in I've got about 800 miles on it. Once in a while I will hear a quick ping if I'm under load going up a hill but it goes away quickly so I think the knock sensor works which is the reason I chose it. Let me know how the firmware uograde works out, I'd like to know, we'll see how it works when the weather warms up ( in about 8 months)....PeterPan

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just put one on my 00 FLHTC(it was an "I") and I'm also running a MIK 42 so far so good. It has been pretty cold scince I put it in I've got about 800 miles on it. Once in a while I will hear a quick ping if I'm under load going up a hill but it goes away quickly so I think the knock sensor works which is the reason I chose it. Let me know how the firmware uograde works out, I'd like to know, we'll see how it works when the weather warms up ( in about 8 months)....PeterPan

revisiting this post-got the module back no charge from s/s just shipping through a local indy $8.00, I only have a few hours on it but it is definitely better that it was before, I still get a little pinging but not as bad as it was, I think that if you cruise @ 70 for awhile then crack the throttle it will ping, but if you are being aggressive and crack the throttle it doesn't???

My biggest issue seems to be with my mik, I am getting really crappy mileage, I played with jets last season and I don't want to do it this year! so of course gas is much more expensive this year.

·
Registered
933 Posts
PHXCLIFF Is your bike and your buddys the same year or did he do some thing to F it up??? I ran one for 10,000 miles on a 118 hp 95" 05 bagger and it fix'd all my problems. Always hadd pinging problems with a twin tec even set at 0 0 could not tune it. Had a order me an IST and this is the best thang scents white bread.. I got 42 mpg if i control'd my right hand and i ride in the nc mountains and it would learn as i rode ,,ping one time and never ping again on the hills i ride . No problems ever on flat ground, and my air?fuel ratios were 12.8 to 13.4..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just put a 124 in a 95 fatboy with it. Only got it running yesterday and just started riding it so no reports yet. Spins over like a stocker with the automatic electronic compression releases. After getting oil to it the thing fired after half a turn of the motor. Pulls like a freight train even breaking it in

·
Registered
51 Posts
peterpan did you have to do any wire splicing to hook it up on your bike since it used to be fi cause i have changed my 01 over to carb and i have just ordered the ist system for mine i was just wondering if it was plug and play or if i was going to have to do some wire splicing.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Great system

Ran it it on a FXST 95 cams/heads with no issues. Same on the next 107 build. Be carefull when you position the knock sensor as it does not like contact to any parts. Check with engine cold and hot for clearance,. Route the sensor cable in a way that it does not transfer vibrations to the sensor. Do all that and you have a great self learning system.
BTW: with 50 run/stop cycles you can reset the system to factory settings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts