V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in Title. I wonder about S&S engines realiability.My old Evo engine (stage 1) in FXR is in good shape (15 years and something over 38k miles) but it is just too slow. So I decided to buy new engine, Stock Evo from HD will be around 3k$ (black & chrome) but the performance gain will be litte (if any). Stage 3 Evo will be around 80 HP - not bad, but for a little more money I could have S&S 96" (or even 113" =devil=). The only problem is that I don`t have any experience with S&S. I din`t known a single person with high mileage S&S engine. Would you recomend S&S engine for street-touring bike wich will be riden often (no trailer :spank:). Or maybe I should stay with Harley Evo?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
S&S stuff is first rate. Their motors are pricey but reliable. Unless I am restoring a bike to factory specs, I would never by a factory motor as they are waaay over priced for what you get.
Case in point: I have a very pumped up 80 in EVO that has been reliable but, now had 95 thousand miles on it. My choices were to rebuild since I was not going to install a stock MOCO motor at all. The 80 dyno'ed at 100 hp.
Instead, knowing it would cost me about 2600.00 to do a rebuild, I went for the biggest motor I could squeeze in my FLSTF.
After shopping around, checking on all the issues, I went and bought a 127 in. Ultima EVO that produces 157 hp for 3600.00 bucks.
It runs great, is reliable and gives me the power that us power junkies live for.
Running with two up, means nothing to this bike now as you just don't feel you have any added weight.
So. 3000.00 for a new 80 inch from MOCO, or 3600.00 for a new high performance 127 inch from Ultima?
A 124 inch S&S which is a great motor cost around 8000.00 bucks and is no more reliable than the Ultima.
You do the math..

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
$3600 bucks for a 127 Ultima? I've seen ad's on-line but they were in the $4K zone. Regardless, if they had one that I could swap out for my B motor I might just get one.

I paid way more for the S&S Hot Kit and all the upgrades I had to do!

I regret building my TC88 into a S&S 124". Nothing but problems!

I rode my son's Hayabusa last night for the first time. 50mph in 1st gear!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
i'd reccomend the twin cam with evo mounts.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
$3600 bucks for a 127 Ultima? I've seen ad's on-line but they were in the $4K zone. Regardless, if they had one that I could swap out for my B motor I might just get one.

He still has lots of motors at that cost.
Black, natural and polished.
My buddies are still scratchin their heads on the deal I got.:clap:

·
Moneygreen
4,781 Posts

What kind of numbers hp/Tq is that S&S 124 you have putting up??
What did it cost approx????

·
Moneygreen
4,781 Posts
S&S stuff is first rate. Their motors are pricey but reliable. Unless I am restoring a bike to factory specs, I would never by a factory motor as they are waaay over priced for what you get.
Case in point: I have a very pumped up 80 in EVO that has been reliable but, now had 95 thousand miles on it. My choices were to rebuild since I was not going to install a stock MOCO motor at all. The 80 dyno'ed at 100 hp.
Instead, knowing it would cost me about 2600.00 to do a rebuild, I went for the biggest motor I could squeeze in my FLSTF.
After shopping around, checking on all the issues, I went and bought a 127 in. Ultima EVO that produces 157 hp for 3600.00 bucks.
It runs great, is reliable and gives me the power that us power junkies live for.
Running with two up, means nothing to this bike now as you just don't feel you have any added weight.
So. 3000.00 for a new 80 inch from MOCO, or 3600.00 for a new high performance 127 inch from Ultima?
A 124 inch S&S which is a great motor cost around 8000.00 bucks and is no more reliable than the Ultima.
You do the math..

You had the 127ci dynoed and saw those numbers yourself? or your going by what they told you????

·
Moneygreen
4,781 Posts
As in Title. I wonder about S&S engines realiability.My old Evo engine (stage 1) in FXR is in good shape (15 years and something over 38k miles) but it is just too slow. So I decided to buy new engine, Stock Evo from HD will be around 3k$ (black & chrome) but the performance gain will be litte (if any). Stage 3 Evo will be around 80 HP - not bad, but for a little more money I could have S&S 96" (or even 113" =devil=). The only problem is that I don`t have any experience with S&S. I din`t known a single person with high mileage S&S engine. Would you recomend S&S engine for street-touring bike wich will be riden often (no trailer :spank:). Or maybe I should stay with Harley Evo?
Why not just find a good Indy and just do a custom build to your specifications?It will be cheaper depending on how big you go and have way more HP!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
You had the 127ci dynoed and saw those numbers yourself? or your going by what they told you????
Does anyone have reliable dyno sheets on these motors?
I have never seen them on a dyno sheet, horsepower shootout, or at the track??? I looked at them at one time because of the price but decided against it (anyone remember Merch?)

S&S on the other hand is the aftermarket industry standard. Proven performance for over 50 years. There has got to be thousands of very high mileage motors all over the world.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
PW, after break in we dyno'ed it with the RBR 2 into 1 and a as as we could well jetted 45 mikuni.
It fell off at 5000 rpm due to running out of fuel. (still had more throttle left)
It needs more carb to produce more power; something like a 48 mik or maybe the PSI carb.
Only work we did was cleanup the exhaust a little bit.
I'm just out of money right now or a new carb would be on/.
The motor is real nice, built with top notch pieces.
Talking to Ultima, they are looking to grab some market share.
I wouldn't be afraid of their motors.
S&S is good but pricey.
BTW, I have a 120 Merch in my custom and it is rock solid. (ya gotta love O-rings)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all info!

i'd reccomend the twin cam with evo mounts.
Aftermarket engine like S&S 124" or Harley TC?
I was thinking about stock H-D TC88 (and bb kit, cams, heads - realiability is high and it should be over 90 HP). Swap is quite easy – not much more work than replace Evo with S&S (let say +1 day). For the price of S&S 113” I could buy whole Tc powered Electra/Road King (salvage title) and just replace old engine &tranny with "new" ones (that would be +1 week ;)).

I rode my friend R1 – that m* f* (bike not my friend :D) hits almost 100 mph in 1th, and when riding slow (changing gears @ 4-5k RPM) you have 130 mph in 6th.

No ultima or rev tech engines – proce is good but did you noticed thread in General discusion from guy from Canada stuck in Mexic with broken Rev Tech motor? Once my suzuki broke on highway in Germany – only 800 miles from home but in strange country (where everyone speaks german/italian/dutch) even broken voltage regulator is a HUGE problem. B I`m looking for performance but realiability in more important –even a stupid oil seal or bearing is a problem over here – you can order one @ dealership and wait 2 weeks. For 2 wheel bearings (metric system overe here) for my previous bike I paid over100$ (but the exchange ratewas realy high back then).

What problems do you have with your 124"? Maybe the problem is not part quality/matching but the builder has **** something?

S&S on the other hand is the aftermarket industry standard. Proven performance for over 50 years. There has got to be thousands of very high mileage motors all over the world.
Thats evrybody says but do you known somebody with S&S engine and 50.000 miles?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Well, there's always that "one guy" who has had some kind of problem.
Most of the time it comes from lack of maintenance ability but, there are some bad motors out there that someone built badly.
I'll keep you posted as I put lots of miles on this Ultima.
The quality of parts is good, the build looks to be first rate after I looked inside some areas.
Stay tuned..

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
No, and as hot as most run I would suspect that you will not here of many. I have 2 of them but they are equipped with R&R heads. Both gained about 25-30% torque and horse, cooled down a heap, start very nice, and run smooth.
I noticed that with this Ultima 127.
The finning is like a twin cam; lots more finning and thicker fins.
Probably due to heat management.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
PW, after break in we dyno'ed it with the RBR 2 into 1 and a as as we could well jetted 45 mikuni.
It fell off at 5000 rpm due to running out of fuel. (still had more throttle left)
It needs more carb to produce more power; something like a 48 mik or maybe the PSI carb.
Only work we did was cleanup the exhaust a little bit.
I'm just out of money right now or a new carb would be on/.
The motor is real nice, built with top notch pieces.
Talking to Ultima, they are looking to grab some market share.
I wouldn't be afraid of their motors.
S&S is good but pricey.
BTW, I have a 120 Merch in my custom and it is rock solid. (ya gotta love O-rings)

I'm glad to hear the Ultima is running strong-I haven't heard they had unusually high reports of problems. They look like they are built solid with good stuff, I'm just a little more conservative I guess. Do you know if they have good customer service and replacement parts available?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I'm glad to hear the Ultima is running strong-I haven't heard they had unusually high reports of problems. They look like they are built solid with good stuff, I'm just a little more conservative I guess. Do you know if they have good customer service and replacement parts available?
Talking to the guys at E&M Motorcycle, I got the impression that anything / part you wanted, they could ship two days.
The Ultima stuff is cool because they have their own foundries and machine shops to fab the components.
They are built here in the states and brag about that aspect.
The cases are things of beauty and their overall castings are first rate.
Just take a look at their heads.
Roller rockers with nice sized bearings, their cranks are as beefy as anyones.
Some people have to think they need to spend a lot to get good quality.
Me, I think our hobby is way over priced for what we get.
Congrats to Ultima for setting a new standard in price / performance.
PS. Using S&S rocker covers on Ultima motors will save you .500 inches of clearance.
I told them that after my installation and they stated that the new rockers were already designed and getting ready for production... hows that for timely engineering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the v111 motor I’ve had to fix numerous problems with it , every thing from over chrome parts to poorly machined rockers and standoffs , failed lifters all within 1200 km there warranty with in Australia is worthless and there tech support is nothing short of dumb ? eg, quote salt air some times corrodes the motors during overseas shipping ! Wank ! There’s no roller rockers no quickie pushrods no Hl2t lifters even tho advertised ! To much money and product is crap the company couldn’t care less , they screen and remove bad reviews rather than solve the problem ! Don’t waste ur money $10k here never ever again ! ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts