V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The S&S bike with Chip Ellis on board, quailified #1 Sunday, at the NHRA Mid-South Nationals. I believe I saw a 6.92 @ 192 and change.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I spent about 30 mins with Chip and crew back in June. I was the only one in their pit and since I have half a clue about what's going on, we sort of enjoyed talking a bit and them showing me what's under the hood.

Chip's been sort of a head case since his Grand Dad was murdered earlier this year.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S&s

I am glad to see the great effort of the G Squared racing team, beating up on the mega-dollar, custom, one-off, V-Rods.
Unlike the V-Rod's, I do believe that the G Squared bikes can be purchased, as that was their intent also.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
I am glad to see the great effort of the G Squared racing team, beating up on the mega-dollar, custom, one-off, V-Rods.
Unlike the V-Rod's, I do believe that the G Squared bikes can be purchased, as that was their intent also.
yep, that is what we like about G2. We've actually looked at buying one.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S&s

I believe that they carry a bit of a price tag, but speed does cost money.
They are smoking the imports, even with the extra weight that the NHRA imposed. Years ago the joke was "What does NHRA stand for?", No Harley Racing Allowed. But being the great marketers, they realized the gate take, burger sales, T-shirts, etc., that the influx of dollars the Harley crowd could have, so they let 'em in. I don't think it is a Mom, apple pie, pledge-of -allegence-type thing. Just money. My 2 cents.
Scott

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I heard MoCo put in $10m to the NHRA and the NHRA decided to keep the PSM class. The rest is history as the SE V-Rods have won championships now. The question is, what will NHRA do when the MoCo decides to pull out.

New G2 was $160k, saw a used one for sale at $135k with spares.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
I believe that they carry a bit of a price tag, but speed does cost money.
They are smoking the imports, even with the extra weight that the NHRA imposed. Years ago the joke was "What does NHRA stand for?", No Harley Racing Allowed. But being the great marketers, they realized the gate take, burger sales, T-shirts, etc., that the influx of dollars the Harley crowd could have, so they let 'em in. I don't think it is a Mom, apple pie, pledge-of -allegence-type thing. Just money. My 2 cents.
Scott

@gree: Same thing Toyota is doing in NASCAR. NASCAR in the past said no foreign auto makers! The almighty $$$$$ have spoken again. They didn't say built or assembled in the USA they said foreign auto makers. Last time I checked Toyota is a foreign owned company! (Japanese)

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Rumor has is that Joe Gibbs Racing was handed $200 million......

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
oh1deuce said:
Rumor has is that Joe Gibbs Racing was handed $200 million......

Life is what it is! Who's to blame when they hand money out like candy, I know I have a sweet tooth....:laugh:

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
True dat!!! Don't blame em one bit.

GM brought Toyota here to build the Geo line in California quite some time ago. Wonder if they regret it???

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
oh1deuce said:
True dat!!! Don't blame em one bit.

GM brought Toyota here to build the Geo line in California quite some time ago. Wonder if they regret it???

You know they DO....................

·
Registered
575 Posts
NHRA Finals Update

Andrew Hines backed out of the beams in the second round in Pomona, handing the championship to either Matt Smith or Chip Ellis depending on the final. Chip staggered (.101 light) and Matt took the championship. Should have seen Hines trying to make it sound like the bike caused his redlight. :laugh: He finally admitted he screwed up, but in the next sentence said it had something to do with the bike again. Truth was, he was trying to stage so shallow that when he pegged the gas on the two-step, the front end extended just enough to pull him back out of stage. Hell, I've done that. But I ain't no professional racer either. Seems like he'd know. Anyway, Matt Smith also rides one of G Squared's Buell's, so the Georges still won. Matt even went faster than Chip. I think that means that George Bryce has met his match in Ricky Smith.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Watched the finals on the idiot box last night.
Hines did screw up from the looks of it.
There was some good racing to be watched.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
14-O said:
Matt even went faster than Chip. I think that means that George Bryce has met his match in Ricky Smith.

@gree: Thats why they call him Tricky Ricky Smith..............

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have seen it befor stage very shallow to prevent red light on reaction time and when you whack the throttle it shakes the front end and it goes red very common with a v-twin race bike expecially if the idle is low or you don't ease in the first part bringing up to the 2 step depending on engine size and balance factor usually when down below 2-2.5k larger & longer stroke engines are worse. but it is still is operator error.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts