V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting an S&S Gear Drive in my 02 Road King. Anyone out there have experience with them?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I will soon,570G going in my EG week after next along with Baisley heads and 10.25 SE 95" cast pistons.
Builder prefers the Woods TW6-HG but said I'll get close to the same performance with the S&S 570 and save quite a bit of $$$$ buying the S&S kit that comes with everything needed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
S&s 570

I dont mean to anger anyone, but I will say this about the 570...I have not seen a 570 build with 100/100. These builds seem to end up around 95 HP and 100-105 TQ from the dynos Ive seen. (4th gear runs).

I say this because, you can get this performance from 9.8:1 and 37G all day long. 37G is a .510 lift cam, which wont require roller rockers, and fairly mild compression.

I also have a 570G build with ported SE Heads, and runs about 92HP and 100Tq. It isnt tuned, and has SE II slip-ons, but still my friend had deweys heads, 9.8:1, 37G and ran 98 HP/100 TQ, fully tuned.

Also, did you say youre set up for 10.25 compression?? Isnt that too much for 570G??

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have done quite a few S&S570, SEp head builds and they are very nice to ride bikes, the numbers given above are correct, they usually end up at 95/105
The advantages are that you can get the parts in a box in one day and be done with it, they are easy to tune and have proven very reliable over time even when using stock rocker arms. 9.8 to 10 CR.

No question that with some of the better ported stock heads available now and 37's you can get virtually the same performance.

It pretty much comes down to wether you like chocolate or strawberry.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
HIPPO said:
I have done quite a few S&S570, SEp head builds and they are very nice to ride bikes, the numbers given above are correct, they usually end up at 95/105
The advantages are that you can get the parts in a box in one day and be done with it, they are easy to tune and have proven very reliable over time even when using stock rocker arms. 9.8 to 10 CR.

No question that with some of the better ported stock heads available now and 37's you can get virtually the same performance.

It pretty much comes down to wether you like chocolate or strawberry.

What he said @gree:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Im suggesting that if the same or better performance can be had with a 510 lift cam, vs a 570, and with lower compression, why go with the 570?? Also, with a 37G and good port job, youll hit 100Tq around 3000 rpm. In other words, I think the bottom end torque will be better as well..

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
EZ Road, iId be interested in selling my gears and 570s if youre still interested in 570. 3500 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
atengnr said:
Im suggesting that if the same or better performance can be had with a 510 lift cam, vs a 570, and with lower compression, why go with the 570?? Also, with a 37G and good port job, youll hit 100Tq around 3000 rpm. In other words, I think the bottom end torque will be better as well..

and........no added cost for valve springs for the typical bolt-in cam, less clearance issues, a bit easier on the valve train.............................nothing wrong with the higher lifts, just make sure it fits your riding style..

·
Registered
96 Posts
rider opinion

EZ Road said:
I am thinking about putting an S&S Gear Drive in my 02 Road King. Anyone out there have experience with them?
I have the 570g and ported heads in my flstc. It is 9.8 compression and is fun to ride and it screws. The CC slipons mated well with build to rip out of corners (tq) and it has a long power band. I have ~14k miles on the build and it runs strong and sounds great.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
atengnr said:
Also, did you say youre set up for 10.25 compression?? Isnt that too much for 570G??
I don't have the paperwork in front of me but as I recall the corrected CR with the Baisley heads was about 9.8 and with the addition of the rinehart true duals my builder expects 100 to 105 hp and that's enough for my bagger.
Here's some dyno charts from my dealer.
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=43

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Im not an expert here, but I have not seen a 570G make 100 + hp. Perhaps he is using 5 th gear dyno numbers.

If you want reliable 100/100 go with 37G and 9.8:1 static

1 - 12 of 12 Posts