V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this engine for about 15k miles and have always maintained it meticulously. Now it's blown something.maybe a gasket,maybe a piston, i havent dug into it yet. i know i have no compression in the front cylinder. I've been trying to figure out why i have oil puking out of the breather and other places for over a year and after reading every post on the internet I see nobody has any clue. Iv'e found A LOT of posts about people having the problem but no solutions that worked. No posts about anyone having a reliable 113. Im thinking of just buying a different engine altogether although I like the power and torque of my S&S,it's been more of a headache than a pleasure. If I wanted that I'd get married. I'd like to hear some opinions on this issue (the engine. not getting married) whats your experience with S&S? What is the best performance motor? when i say best i mean reliable and well made.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have about 15K miles on my S&S 113 installed in a '95 RK. Has been absolutely dead nuts reliable. Compared to the stock 95 and 110 Twin Cams in my other bikes, the 113 is also amazingly quiet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The oil puking out sound like a lot of blow by or breather timing. Is it a evo with a crankcase vent or evo with twin-cam heads. Lost compression all together on one cyclinder sounds valve related or busted piston not just rings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Do you have a IST ignition?Sounds like a piston failure,time to start ripping it apart.S&S had some problems with the early IST knock censors .Good Luck:chopper:

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I don't think I'd throw it out before I knew what was wrong.

With no compression it will need to be disassembled and inspected. No amount of speculation will mean anything until it's looked at.

Then you can make an informed decision on what you want to do. After disassembly I'd give S&S a call for their guidence.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Electric comp release in front working ?.
wtf 15k miles that is a new Engine any warranty

-2$en#e-speed
releases are manual
It was manufactured in 99. i bought it with 8k on it. the oil isssue started as soon as i got home from buying it but i was still happy with the deal. fast forward 1 year never figured the oil issue out. my S&S manual just arrived so ill be digging into this weekend

·
Registered
473 Posts
releases are manual
It was manufactured in 99. i bought it with 8k on it. the oil isssue started as soon as i got home from buying it but i was still happy with the deal. fast forward 1 year never figured the oil issue out. my S&S manual just arrived so ill be digging into this weekend
what do ya found in it?.

speed..

·
Registered
261 Posts
From what I was told years ago when I got mine was that S&S had some early piston ring land issues on some motors. Mine was on the list so it was rebuilt at .005 over with the newer pistons in it. That was 31k. It is now at 75k and I've been running it with a little more headwork and a .640 lift cam in it. Never had even one hiccup with it. I use both head and case breathers on it in my 94 dresser.

We just put another 113" in my secretary's 98 dresser and we did have to replace a head gasket on the rear (did front too) after he had it in there a while. It was a used one with about 12k on it when it went in. Runs beautifully now and no oil use that he has mentioned. And he would, believe me. LOL.

Good luck with it dude..

Griz

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
I know this thread is a little older, but, So you have no idea what the motor had been through for the first 8000 miles, it had issues as soon as you started it, and the 113 is a POS? I've never met a 113" S&S with any issues, I had a shop with quite a few 113's that I took care of, I was so impressed by their stone cold reliability I bought one for myself. I'm thinking any issues present were caused by the previous owner, JMHO

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah l wouldn't mind knowing what you found, l was lead to believe that they were pretty reliable with plenty of grunt

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,684 Posts
I know this thread is a little older, but, So you have no idea what the motor had been through for the first 8000 miles, it had issues as soon as you started it, and the 113 is a POS? I've never met a 113" S&S with any issues, I had a shop with quite a few 113's that I took care of, I was so impressed by their stone cold reliability I bought one for myself. I'm thinking any issues present were caused by the previous owner, JMHO
My impression was about the same. How does running a motor, with a known pre-existing problem, for a year make the motor a POS?

joe

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
My experience with the S&S 113's has been they are near bullet proof, trouble free, very good power. When I had a shop I worked on many S&S powered scooters, the factory assembled engines were never a problem.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Bought my V111 new and have over 20,000 on it in two years and no complaints what so ever, the S&S is quieter and pulls through the gears it has 122 ft. pounds of torque at 4,000 rpms and 111.6 HP at the rear wheels. I put 4 quarts in it each change as I run the old oil out the filter till it runs clean, 4 in and 4 out each of the 6 or 7 changes to date and not a drop between. Best engine I ever had.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out the piston was in pieces. apparently there was varnish build up in the carb causing it to run lean in the front cylinder. The plugs looked normal but the piston was clean as in no carbon build up at all. The rear piston was fine with normal carbon deposits. its getting a complete rebuild with new everything from S&S. The hot tanking and machining are done and now the engine is out to get powder coated. Hopefull mid July I will be back on the road with no problems for a very long time.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Turns out the piston was in pieces. apparently there was varnish build up in the carb causing it to run lean in the front cylinder. The plugs looked normal but the piston was clean as in no carbon build up at all. The rear piston was fine with normal carbon deposits. its getting a complete rebuild with new everything from S&S. The hot tanking and machining are done and now the engine is out to get powder coated. Hopefull mid July I will be back on the road with no problems for a very long time.
Curious why just the front? Separate manifolds?

·
Registered
896 Posts
apparently there was varnish build up in the carb causing it to run lean in the front cylinder.
What magical location in a typical S&S or other single throat carburetor could varnish accumulate in to affect one cylinder?

I'm extremely skeptical about that theory.

A manifold air leak could make one cylinder run lean though.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
I was going to leave this alone but, "The front piston was in pieces, but had no carbon buildup, the plugs were normal, rear piston was normal, the carb was varnished up causing a lean condition in the front cylinder." It sounds like science fiction to me, hopefully, whoever diagnosed it is not the person doing the rebuilding, also S&S offers a refurbish service on their engines that is hard to beat if you want a stock motor, but, a good running 113" is more than most can handleyw lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I was told years ago when I got mine was that S&S had some early piston ring land issues on some motors. Mine was on the list so it was rebuilt at .005 over with the newer pistons in it. That was 31k. It is now at 75k and I've been running it with a little more headwork and a .640 lift cam in it. Never had even one hiccup with it. I use both head and case breathers on it in my 94 dresser.

We just put another 113" in my secretary's 98 dresser and we did have to replace a head gasket on the rear (did front too) after he had it in there a while. It was a used one with about 12k on it when it went in. Runs beautifully now and no oil use that he has mentioned. And he would, believe me. LOL.

Good luck with it dude..

Griz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts