V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, my first post here. I've read a bit and can tell there are some very knowledge folks hereabouts.

I discovered a leak today between the crankcase and engine case, at the seam just below the rear cylinder. This will be fixed under warranty. I recently went to 95" with Scotsman heads and Andrews 37g cams, SE flat tops, adj pushrods, 9.8:1 compression. My wrench tossed out the idea of going with S&S 106" stroker flywheels since the cases have to be split for the leak repair. The labor cost will be minimal as the MOFO will pick up most to the bill. I pretty much just have to spring for the stroker kit so if I'm gonna do this, this might be the time. I really don't want to drop a boat load of cash and I'm not after drag race speeds. I like to twist the wick as much as the next guy, however, and I wouldn't mind whuppin the next guys a** from time to time.

I have some questions. First, will changing to 106" flywheels necessitate other changes (i.e. Timken bearings)? I'm under the impression that the flywheels are bolt-in. Second, is this a good idea given my heads and cams? What kind of hp/tq numbers might I expect to see? My bike is an '03 FLHRCI.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I hope you get some posts on this as I was interested in this kit also before going a different direction. I mainly did not go with it because it was difficult to find the data I was wanting as I do not think many are doing it. I believe if I remember right its just a new crank and new pistons, everything else bolts right up. I do remember also something about a different bearing being using in it when fitting it in earlier TC years. There is a guy on the forum running this and he reported it being more of a tractor type motor than a quick rev. I know its vague info.....sorry

·
Registered
487 Posts
without knowing the year of your engines 1 you will need to up the cam 37 might be a little short on duration

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
IMO there are better routes to take to get there. It is an 03 therefore while you have the opportunity I suggest you have Zippers upgrade (or is the word downgrade) retrofit it to the 02 and before Timkin bearing, and consider a big bore kit such as Revolution 107 or Axtell. This will enable you to use your crank and retain a nice long skirt piston. The big bores seem to be trouble free and not increase piston speed therefore near stock longevity could be expected. Less friction means more power. It is not uncommon for a 107 to put out 115hp in relatively mild configuration with under 10/1 compression. Take a look here, not an advertisement but just one such example http://www.rosascycle.com/. There have been issues with the S&S 106 pistons, very short piston skirts because of the added stroke and stock length rods. If the 107 is not large enough there are other possibilities with Jims 4.5" shorter rod cranks but will leave you with this for now. The piston and barrel kit is about 900 bucks plus machine work to bore the cases.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If you want cubic inch great but I would use the 106 kit if it was the last hd i was to ride. This was covered in great detail not to long ago. The kit is what we call a long rod type. THE wrist pin in that set up is above the oil ring!!! THe are know for piston slap , oil usage, lack of long term usage.

You can build a 98 bolt on parts, a 107(case bore) a 117 with stroker crank to the 107 kit, you can go 114 (bore only) add the crank and the bigger 114 cylinders and you have my little set up a 124, want to go further ok add longer crank and the 4.250 and you have arm stretching monster at the tune of a 131.

WE have a buddy who has one here and I think he is on his 3rd motor for the problems listed. I have done a few for customers and smae issue. Please stay away from the 106 nothing but head aches and heart aches

BY the :welcome: Great place here with some great guys.
P.S. watch out for LAF he always wants to race people, he thinks:brows: he has a fast bagger well I think mine is faster !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to do this. I'm sure I'll be happy w/ the 95" build for a while and longevity is important as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts