V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got this 'Science Project' finished. She took some work, and I took some lumps, but I finally got everything where I wanted it. Took her over to BVBob for the tune and she's running very strong!

2009 FLHR:
- S&S 106" Kit w/ S&S 585 EZ Start cams
- Heads by Lee's Speed Shop (Int. 1.91/Exh. 1.565)
- 79 cc chambers w/ 0.040" HG
- 10.8:1 CR (calculated 204 ccp)
- FM 2-1-2 header w/ Crusher exhaust
- HPInc 54mm TB w/ 4.89 g/sec inj.
- Kuryakyn Mach-II A/C
- SE Roller Rockers/Gatorman Lifters, etc.

Attachments

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts
That is kick-ass!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wicked 106! Are those the standard crusher baffles or the Mellows?
Sorry for the delay in replying....

These are the standard baffles; I got them last Fall before I knew of the Mellows. They sound nice, with a good roar wen I get on it...and those 585s have a nice sound as well. Really amazed at how smooth and quiet this motor runs, and the roll-on power is very strong.

Thanks for all the feedback!
(Hope this helps those considering a similar build.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
WOW, hope my tq curve looks like that...just got done with mine:
2012 FXDWG
S&S 106 w/10.5-1
S&S 585 ez start
S&S cnc'd and ported heads
LSR 2-1
SE Heavy Breather
Darkhorse trued the crank...Timpkin bearings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WOW, hope my tq curve looks like that...just got done with mine:
2012 FXDWG
S&S 106 w/10.5-1
S&S 585 ez start
S&S cnc'd and ported heads
LSR 2-1
SE Heavy Breather
Darkhorse trued the crank...Timpkin bearings

I'm not sure how the S&S heads run, but with your set-up, I'm guessing you're gonna be very close, or stronger, than my build.
I've seen a couple other 106"/585 builds at slightly lower compression than 10.8:1 that look as good/better on the dyno sheet. The best part tho, is how it performs!!

When I first got into it, man, I had to hold on for dear life! It didn't have that 'snap-neck' torque, but when it hit around 2700+ you felt like it was just walking away from everyone around you!
Then at 3200+, it's GONE!!

It's got tremendous Roll-on power, and at times, when you think it's about time to shift, you look down and the tach is reading 3500!!
These cams run long and strong, and the valve train is more quiet than stock! (Well, mine was.)

I know on my next bike, I'll definitely be looking into the 585s again! It's a fkn blast to ride! %[email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Iowa_Harley
Fabulous to hear...I have been wondering what I was going to end up with because of all the information overflow from the dealers and suppliers...I got some great feedback in another thread about the upcoming dyno tune...I'm almost done with the breakin so the tune is scheduled for this Sat, assuming it doesn't snow down here again...BTW, how does yours act in town if you are just bar hoppin or on the slow streets...:thanks:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I liked it in town too.
It had a great cadence to it, having that S&S, bad-ass thump to it, and behaved very well at lower rpm's.
Then if you cracked the throttle a little, it would spin-up quickly, giving you a quick jolt of torque!
Overall, I was very happy with the build, and it ran smooth, all day long!
(I can't emphasize that enough... it just loved to run, and always wanted to go!!)

You won't be disappointed! (I heard the same thing from multiple "585 veterans" before I went that direction.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts