V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up another 2009 Street Glide. The engine is stock. It's running with Rush slip-ons, and a SE air intake. Seems to run fine. Is it worth putting a S.E.R.T. on? Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like to do as much work on my 06 Electra Glide as possible which I do as long as it involves turning a wrench. Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the dealership to do any fine tuning that involves FI. I am also curious about SERT - would that allow me to do some fine tuning on the fuel system. I like the idea of using a laptop. Where do you get a SERT and what is the approximate cost?

Coach

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
Yes I would do it, but my choice wouldn't be the S.E.R.T. The TTS master tune is a better choice. I would also find the best tunner in your area, I sure someone on this forum can help you with that. I have a ? for you Im going to shoot you a PM

·
Registered
63 Posts
S.E.R.T. is what I use. It is the only tuner for me. My Fatboy is now a 103 with 257SE cams, and 110 heads. Tuned myself without a dyno. Use multimeters on the O2 sensors to read voltage and the S.E.R.T. to balance the front and rear first. (same voltage readings). Than use AFR table to richen the mixtures to your desire. Works well but will take time to get it right. Also I am not sold on the auto tune function just yet, Not sure of what settings the auto tune shoots for.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
TTS Master Tune for me... Had it Dyno'ed and tuned..

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I just picked up another 2009 Street Glide. The engine is stock. It's running with Rush slip-ons, and a SE air intake. Seems to run fine. Is it worth putting a S.E.R.T. on? Thanks in advance,

Mike
take a look at this thread. you are lean the way it is for sure.
SE pro tuner, will handle everything you need to get it tuned correct.
in the right hands. the SERT is the old SE tuner. it wouldnt be the way to go on your 09 FBW bike. but I am pretty sure you meant SEPST.
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/e...tra-do-i-need-remap-if-i-put-2-1-stock-c.html

·
Registered
259 Posts
If u plan on tuning the bike at some shop, then buy the tuner that your mechanic is best with. He can tell u what is best. If u dont have a trusted shop and /or just want to tune it yourself there are a number of systems that work well and r not too complex for some one to learn and adjust as desired... Just look around and find a few people that are doing the same thing successfully, and it appeals to u, then??
I have the Harley box and software plus training video as well. Have I used it? No, I had a mech. (HI Greg) at HighDesert HD tune my bike after the install of cams, in and out gases devices etc. And a canned map... Tuning might get me more, but it is fast enough to get traffic tickets!! :O

·
Registered
61 Posts
Being a screamin eagle product is the only source HD - I am looking for the most inexpensive way to go - what would be the approximate price for the SERT, cables, and all the stuff that makes it work.

Coach

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just did some quick research on the TTS master tune and it would seem better to me if for no other reason it is not tied to your vin# and it was the original supplier for SERT in the first place.

Coach

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I just did some quick research on the TTS master tune and it would seem better to me if for no other reason it is not tied to your vin# and it was the original supplier for SERT in the first place.

Coach
It marries as well

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went with a SEPST after doing some tuner research. I have a couple of reputable, highly praised H-D tuners in my area. I'd have to travel 100+ miles for a really capable PCV/TTS tuner (FuelMoto). After a custom tune my bike has great driveability...

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it. My last ride I had the TTS Mastertune, but had MAJOR engine work done. I am going to talk to my Wrench next week, and check into the SEPST. I didn't realize that basically replaced the SERT.

This Forum ROCKS! ?prty:

Many thanks from everyone for your valued input!

Mike

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
The SEPST did replace the SERT. However beware there are 2 different versions of the SEPST. You do NOT want the lesser expensive version as it limits what you as an individual can do with your bike and the tuning device.
The TTS is the original maker of the SERT and they had a falling out with HD because TTS wanted to make features available to the public to use while they were manufacturing the SERT but HD did not want them to. They went back and forth on the issue to no resolve. Not certain whether TTS pulled away from HD or HD terminated the relationship themselves.

I bought a SEPST for my 09 Ultra and for a 24 year IT guy that has a degree in electronics, I found it way overly-complicated hence it had to be brought to a HD shop for tuning. They never could get it right after I put my cams in after 4 tunes and $1000 + spent so I chose to drop it and move to the TTS based on the recommendation of an expert tuner in NC. That tuner is now a good friend of mine and helped me throughout every single step of the "self-tuning process" My bike has never run better and I swear by the TTS system.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
If u plan on tuning the bike at some shop, then buy the tuner that your mechanic is best with. He can tell u what is best. If u dont have a trusted shop and /or just want to tune it yourself there are a number of systems that work well and r not too complex for some one to learn and adjust as desired... Just look around and find a few people that are doing the same thing successfully, and it appeals to u, then??
I have the Harley box and software plus training video as well. Have I used it? No, I had a mech. (HI Greg) at HighDesert HD tune my bike after the install of cams, in and out gases devices etc. And a canned map... Tuning might get me more, but it is fast enough to get traffic tickets!! :O
It has nothing to do with speed..........

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
My -2$en#e- worth

Question. Just what are you looking for from your bike? A screaming bar hopper or one that runs well all the time. From what you said, only slip ons and SEAC I'm guessing the later.
Can you use the HD tuner without a dyno maybe, can you have an top notch tune, well lots of luck.
If I was looking for a good running bike I would either go the PC with auto tune or the Thunder Max and call it a day. That way any future mods can be quickly adjusted for without paying for dyno time.
Is the PC or Thunder Max more expensive yes but when you add in dyno time plus the guy doing the tuning, it's probably cheaper are at least a wash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did the Fuel Moto thing. Included PCV + slip ons + k&N air filter. The price was great, service was excellent and all the parts were easy to install. Realized improved performance immediately. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Dyno Tune

I have an 09 Ultra with slip-ons stage 1 air filter. I tried the Harley map and wasn't happy with it. Then I git the
SERT and had my bike dyno tuned. WOW !!

What a difference !!!! The rear cylinder cooled down and I got several more horsepower and several more ft/lbs of torque. The bike responds at low end way better.

The dyno tune is so far superior to just dumping more fuel in the motor and not adjusting timing etc.

I highly recommend the SERT AND a Dyno tune.

Regards,

Stew

p.s. If another product allows you to get to ALL of the parameters in your bike then I guess it's ok to use, but I'm only familiar with the SERT...

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
When I bought my VRod in 2002 it had a surge problem. So the dealer talked me into the screaming eagle package because he said that would cure the problem but it didn't. Then I went to the Gills turner and still the surging. I finally said [email protected]*k it, went with the SERT and BAM!!!!! Perfect!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 2011 RKC HD SEPST dyno tuned runs very well- no issues.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

Coach
Are you sure about this? If this was true how is it that the TTS unit is priced according to functionality with either 1 or 2 vehicles?

2000000 MasterTune Single Program (1 Bike) $425.00*
2000001 MasterTune Dual Program (2 Bikes) $625.00*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts