V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a crank case leak fixed on my 04 FXST under warrenty. Dealer is going to do a stage II build while he is in there for the cost of parts. The only catch is that the only way that they will do it is all S.E parts including gaskets. I all ready have V&H Big Shot staggard, S.E intake on stock carb. Dealer wants to do the 1550 with 203s, high comp. cast pistons, perfict fit push rods, and ignition modual if needed. I had in mind 204s but he really thinks I will like 203s better. 50/50 2 up and highway/city. Any one have this build? Am I asking for trouble with piston/ cam combo. The shop suggested the high compression pistons. This is baisically the same build as the1550 stage III torque build in the S.E cataloge minus the 42mm flatside carb. Will retain stock heads. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
hmmmmm.......

The stock heads will be the single biggest limiting factor of your motor. Seems a real shame to go to all that trouble and leave the stock heads on the motor. For a simple street port job by a good porter for around $300 - $350 would make a world of difference. If they will allow that, then have the porter deck the heads for a compression bump to 9.9:1 or so for use with the SE cast flat tops. Then talk with the porter about changing valve sizes up one notch too, that might be interesting to you. If the dealer won't allow the outside ported heads and money isn't a big problem, then I would go with the the SE Performance heads 16953-99B with the cast flat tops (22851-99A) that should be around 9.7:1 CR depending on the head gasket used. And believe it or not, flat tops with the bathtub combustion chamber make the best turbulence and flame front propagation. I would not use the high compression piston though in any case.

If you are stuck with SE cams, imo, the 204 is better than the 203 from all of the dyno sheets I've seen. Beware of the early intake valve closings and cranking compression values and the potential pinging problems! I think even better aftermarket bolt-in cam choices are the Andrews TW37b, the S&S 510C, Mackie TC510. And again, if money is not a big problem, you can get rid of the problematic cam chain tensioner setup and go gear drive, all the aftermarket cams I mentioned are available as gear drive cams. Better reliability than the stock setup and more accurate valve timing and maybe a horsepower or two is freed up in the process.

Maybe those with more experience will chime in on this one and shed even more light.

·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
My bike has 25 000 mile with 203's SE 10.25:1 cast piston standard heads
SE 44mm carb & SE manifold
standard push rods and lifter's.... (sea level to 0.1 mile abow sea level)
It run's great with no issues !

Edit
due to shock & distress and alcohol all came out wrong and inappropriate
I am sorry ...
Thanks for your kind words JLOCKHART29

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear about your dad. Man the problems I have don't amount to any thing compaired to you. My prayers for you and your family. I appreciate all your responses. Most people say stay away from the high comp. but a few have it like you and love it. I plan to keep this bike and don't want any trouble.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
vt-zeb said:
Be carefull, you'll get banned around here with that attutude:flames:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts