V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the input Doc! I will keep you all posted. I have a set on order and can't hardly wait till I get them.

There are several reasons I went that way, as I posted before, a general lack of detailed info to my inquires and of course the fact that I know exactly what I would get ( valve sizes, compression ratio, lift limits, etc) plus I found an unbelieveable price on the internet. This gives me portability if I decide to get another Harley...and it is a TC of course.

I realize that most shops can get really great numbers off of the originals, but you are entirely correct that they can do even better from these. I have seen many dyno posts of 100 hp and above with these heads...just the way the come to your door. Plus the words smooth, flat and usable are used a great deal. That's what I'm looking for, I don't care if I get over 100 horses or not. What I want is something that jumps when I grab a hand full but has excellent table manners around town. I really think these will do that.

Donny Peterson told me that it takes quite a bit of work to increase the intake valve size, correctly, on stockers due to the amount of material there to work with, these heads are cast with that increase in mind as it is a stock valve on these heads. That along with a set of Crane 3003 cams w/ .570 lift that have a relatively early opening will put the power right where we usually ride...I think.

Once again, I will let everyone know exactly how it turns out, good or bad and I do not hesitate to admit if I'm wrong, that's how I learn.

Thanks,
Budman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
So, what SE heads are you going with, the performance heads, the HTCC heads or the CNC ported ones.
From a cost benefit ratio I would personally go with the older performance heads, and it pays to look the heads over before laying the money down as there are subtle differences from one set to the next.

Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
As a sidenote, if you are looking at the CNC ported heads, look at them real close. They cost a significant chunk of money and only the ports are CNC machined, not the combustion chambers.
They do however adress the port inconsistencies of the earlier performance heads. The finish of the ports is very nice. The ports are huge. As soon as the dealer gets the next set we have been promised the opportunity to flow and cc them and see what they do.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sure. Might have to remind me from time to time. LOL.

They got one set they showed us, but it was going on a bike that day so they could not spare them. Have to ask what #'s they pulled next time over there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old S.E. Heads

Hey Fellas, just got back from another business trip. I hope this will be the last trip for a while.

Hippo I ordered the old style, or first series, S.E. heads. They appear to be a good place to start from. I plan on building a motor that doesn't set the world on fire...but puts a big grin on my face? Is there something I should be looking for when I get them? You mentioned some differences, I'm not sure what differences you were referring to but I will definitely be looking if you tell me what to look for.

I agree with Charlie in the other post about building torque and that's one of the important factors in the components I have chosen. The Crane cams for instance had good lift and duration, but most important is that they do their thing earlier in the cycle. Check the opening and closing spots in degrees of rotation, you'll see what I'm pointing to. The other manufacturers are going for shear top end numbers, and I suspect they are getting them, by delaying those times into the rotational cycle. My TC88B has a rev limiter at 6200 rpm and even if it didn't I wouldn't be ringing it out like that. The cams I chose kick in around 1800 rpms and hang in there until around 5700 or 5800. That to me is much more usable than a cam that doesn't come on till much later.

Man, I'm getting all sweaty palmed just thinking about it! Well, this is going to take a while. I haven't received the heads yet and still need to order the other parts as well. But I will let everyone how it turns out as soon as I get the work done and the motor broken in. I hope to give high reccommendations but you never know. I may be saying stay away from something too, I just hope I have chosen the right combination of parts.

Budman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check how the machining for the seat pocket blends into the port. It usually is more of a problem with the HTCC heads.

Now you have the large ports and the large valves that are good for top end and the torque cams, you should be happy with a little bit of both.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts