V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll, I have been reading on this forum since June when I ordered my 03 Fatboy and I have learned alot. But I am still green. I got my bike last Sat. week and yeap it rained all day Sat. and Sunday but I kept a eye onit in the garage. Finally tool her out on Mon. and was surprized with how easy it was to handle. Stop,turn,lean etc.. I say this cause I havent ever had a street bike before but grew up riding and racing dirtbikes,that must have helped. I am still am getting use to those cars and trucks coming around me on the roads. I am taking it easy and have the attitude that everyone is trying tio kill me. I am thinking about taking a riders safty class also. My ?? is I have noticed that when sifting thru the gears its alot of clunking going on, was wondering how normal this is?? Even when in N at a stop putting it into 1st it makes a clunk! most of the time, sometimes it goes into gear as smooth as silk, normal?? Seems to always clunk when downshifting thru the gears. I have been told it will get better when broken in and also have been told that it is normal. Cant it be smooth as silk all the time or is it just teasing me. Other than that this baby is SWEET and smells good!! Oh I chipped the paint on the bottom of the rear fender working it back and forth getting it into its place in the corner of the garage, hit the door molding, pissed. Chipped a piece about the size of a pencil eraser. I will be happy if that is all that happens to it. Any I need comments on the clunking going on?? Thanks JC
03 FLSTFI Gunmetal PS I would post pics but I dont know how to make them smaller to fit on this website.

·
Registered
584 Posts
FXDeanX already posted the 'clunk' issue. Also, I would suggest, and most will agree, to take the Motorcycle Safety Course. Even though you have been riding dirt for years, chances are you will learn a lot from this course. Plus, you may get a insurance break. Check with them once you finish the course. Also, the FatBoy, even though it is 600+ pounds, it is one of the best handling and easiest to ride. Take into consideration to it's low center of gravity. Good luck, enjoy, and ask questions. I am still trying to learn as much as I can.
J.T.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
conetail said:
Oh I chipped the paint on the bottom of the rear fender working it back and forth getting it into its place in the corner of the garage, hit the door molding, pissed. Chipped a piece about the size of a pencil eraser. I will be happy if that is all that happens to it.
YIKES!!!

Did you get (or can you get) a little bottle of touch-up paint from your dealer?

wyo

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Congrats on yer new ride. Take the course. Then take the advanced course. It can save your life. I ride with all kinds of bikes and people. It's easy to see who can handle their rides and who I don't want ride-en behind me. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRATICE your stopping from diff speeds and in turns. Find your limits and the bikes. Then kick the shitt out of that thang. Good luck wit it, and WATCH OUT. Don't chip anything else. I use my bike stand to spin my ride around in the garage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Conetail, Congrats on the new FatBoy. MSF is worth it's weight in gold. I get 10% off anything in any bike shop here in town, and a break in insurance, only 20.00, but its all good. Take the MSF course and HOG will refund 50.00 in Harley Bucks to spend at the moco. Check it out!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have to move your bike around in the garage to make space, invest in a good motorcycle jack. Jack it up and move it to where you want it. It's a lot quicker

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments, now I know that the clunking is normal from all the the other post on the subject. I did get some touchup paint and clearcoat for the chip but the area kept getting bigger the more I messed with it. I dont think I can ever get it as smooth as the rest of the fender. I'll just get a fender tip and cover it up or leave it be. I thought about a new fender but thats $370.00, does come painted and with 100th annv. stripe. nice to know thats there. I will look into the stand so I can roll it around easily or just leave the pickup out by its lonesome. That Baby sure is smooth and solid feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!! Later

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Don't get the new fender, I know it suc ks but if you use it it will get chips and scratches. Now the first one is out of the way you don't have to worry as much. Nobody else will notice, enjoy your ride.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
conetail, good deal and good looking family! It's great when all are into ridin'

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your wife will just LOVE it when she sees you've chopped off part of her face, but damn sure got the scooter in the pic!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Dogmeat said:
Your wife will just LOVE it when she sees you've chopped off part of her face, but damn sure got the scooter in the pic!!
I was thinking the same thing! Good luck with the scoot though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts