V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some S-100 but am afraid to use it for fear that it may get on chrome and/or paint and without knowing I may not wipe it off. Will it damage chrome and paint if acccidently left on????

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
shrinkman2 said:
I just picked up some S-100 but am afraid to use it for fear that it may get on chrome and/or paint and without knowing I may not wipe it off. Will it damage chrome and paint if acccidently left on????
If left on, it may cause damage...be sure to rinse it well, and follow the directions on the can.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
shrinkman2 said:
If you can handle a Road King I think you can handle the S-100. The nozzle will let you spray it EXACTLY where you want it. Then just wipe off any that runs down off the case.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
i used it and it did nothing to the chrome and paint,the eng brightener makes the ugly black powder coat look new,so don't worry spray on and rinse off and your ride will shine

·
harleys_n_laddertrucks
1,013 Posts
It ruined the inner faring on my 2002 FLHTCI. The over spray landed on the part under where the rear view mirrors are. I rinced that part too, but to no avail. You could see the over spray pattern. So rince and wipe good.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
I had a MAJOR brain fart while using the S-100. Like an idiot, I road to a coin-op car wash (the ones with the spray guns), and sparyed the S-100 on the bike to wash it. The engine was hot, of course, and the S-100 burned onto the engine. I had to wait until the engine cooled, and then I used chrome polish and cloths for an hour to get it off. But thankfully it all came off. S-100, if used properly, is perfect for washing the bikes.

I use the S-100 in the red aerosol can. I've never used the S-100 in the white pump-type spray bottle.

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
stanley4512 said:
I had a MAJOR brain fart while using the S-100. Like an idiot, I road to a coin-op car wash (the ones with the spray guns), and sparyed the S-100 on the bike to wash it. The engine was hot, of course, and the S-100 burned onto the engine. I had to wait until the engine cooled, and then I used chrome polish and cloths for an hour to get it off. But thankfully it all came off. S-100, if used properly, is perfect for washing the bikes.

I use the S-100 in the red aerosol can. I've never used the S-100 in the white pump-type spray bottle.
This may be stating the obvious -- but that's never stopped me before.

If you want to wash your bike and it's hot for whatever reason, such as having just been ridden or even just sitting in the sun, hose it down FIRST, then wash it. I pretty much always hose my bike down briefly before washing it because I think that a good wet bike helps get the wash spread better (and I use S-100 and love it).

Hosing down a hot bike won't hurt it. After all, it happens every time you're riding and it starts to rain.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
S-100 has never damaged my chrome, but it has stained the powder coat on the motor and put some cloudy spots on the glass on my oil pressure gauge. This was a result of the dealer's wash guy leaving it sitting on the bike in the hot sun while he must have been off someplace pounding it.

The powder coat staining eventually came off with repeated washings, but the glass is a lost cause.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Dansville Rob said:
Hosing down a hot bike won't hurt it. After all, it happens every time you're riding and it starts to rain.
Now that's funny, you're actually comparing raindrops to a direct blast from the hose.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
sthorp said:
Now that's funny, you're actually comparing raindrops to a direct blast from the hose.
Well at 70 MPH in a driving rain, rain will out pressure ANY water pressure I have experienced in my home.

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
LAF said:
Well at 70 MPH in a driving rain, rain will out pressure ANY water pressure I have experienced in my home.
No doubt. The sheer volume of water in a real driving rain at speed is just brutal. I was riding in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula in September of '06 and was afraid I was going to drown it was raining so hard.

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hi!

I´m not really sure what product you are talking about and by the replies here it seems that others are confused, too.

S100 is a brand name that makes a wide range of cleaning products so you have to specify.

I thought you were talking about the general purpose S100 bike wash. I don´t particularly like it. It doesn´t deliver on the "spray on-hose off=clean" promise. It is a decent degreaser, but you have to wipe or sponge to get the dirt off properly and it will leave hazy spots etc if you don´t wipe it off the paint and chrome (not permanent ones though). I would definitely wait for the bike to cool before spraying it on in any case.

Some replies were obviously referring to S100 engine brightner which is meant to freshen up the black wrinkle paint on your engine. I would try to avoid getting it on any surface it isn´t made for (read what it says on the can...)
The results are pretty good. It can be aimed pretty well, you remove the excess and get a very nice fresh look on the black. It is a little oily, though, and it is my impression that it attracts dirt at least while it is fresh. I would let her sit and dry for a day or so, so the fresh stuff doesn´t attract dirt and dust right away.

Ride safe
Sponk

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
You think it's the same?

LAF said:
OK get the engine real hot and put a hose directly on the head, and see what happens.

In the rain , it is usually coming on sort of gradually and is more of a mist and hits many parts of the engine at the same time. With the hose one part is how and it becomes cold instantly with the other parts remaining hot so you have differential cooling. Now a hose set on fine mist and sprayed like you are painting a car would be pretty even.

On a heavy car or truck if you are hitting the brakes real hard say coming off the interstate at 80 you heat up the brakes red hot and if there happens to be a big puddle at the end of the ramp you end up with warped brakes.

I always let the my bike cool before washing, but i have accelerated the cooling process by use of the leaf blower. Each to his own.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Dansville Rob said:
No doubt. The sheer volume of water in a real driving rain at speed is just brutal. I was riding in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula in September of '06 and was afraid I was going to drown it was raining so hard.
YOU might feel the full PRESSURE of the rain at speed but the "volume" isn't even close to a waterhose full of cold water. Not to mention, your engine isn't sitting out there in the full windstream of the water near as much as your body when riding in the rain.

Anyone who thinks it is OKAY to hose down a HOT engine with cold water is either just plain lucky or loves to work on broke motors. Spraying a fine "mist" on would be okay (as roofeditor said)..but not a steady stream right on the cylnders, heads, and crankcase.

·
Registered
466 Posts
A heavy rain might register a few inches an hour at bursts. Water from a hose would be coming out at, what, an inch every couple seconds? There is no comparison. Also, this is assuming the engine is completely exposed to the rain, which it is not.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
hose will not hurt the engine. Nobody has hit a large puddle or get a soaking from the car going the other way hitting a puddle I have almost been knocked off the bike when that happens. $hit I have been caught in sudden downpours that when I got off the bike water came out the tops of my boots.Guess lots of guys dont ride in the rain.

The engine is getting hit as hard if not harder than you are in a rainstorm . Why wouldnt it? Its not covered at speed by the tank as you are driving into the rain and will also get the washoff from the front tire.

A heavy rain may be an inch or two an hour - BUT that is measured by the square inch ... At 60 MPH you are covering how many inches in an hour? Just look at your windshied wipers in a heavy rain for gods sake at 50 mph in a heavy rain you cant even see because the rain is overtaking the wiping action of the wipers so you slow down and you can see again. And for volume of a garden hose as compaired to a rain fall there is no comparison even a light rain puts down more water than a hose at full tilt..

As for the ?, S-100 when used per the directions wont harm anything.

just a quick Google
1 inch of rain

1 acre = 27,154 gallons
1 square mile = 17.38 million gallons

How long do you think it would take to get 27,154 gallons out of a garden hose?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
How long do you think it would take to ride around and catch every drop of that 27,154 gallons? Not hardly possible. Again...if you QUENCH an operating temp Aluminum and Steel motor with a direct cold blast of water you are asking for trouble....and that is a scientific fact. If you have been lucky when shooting that hose on your motor...more power to you.

As for the S-100...GREAT STUFF and very hard to screw that up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1 acre = 27,154 gallons
1 square mile = 17.38 million gallons

How long do you think it would take to get 27,154 gallons out of a garden hose?
Sorry, I know this post is old, but I gotta check the numbers...using the numbers above...

1 square mile = 5280*5280 square feet = 27,878,400 square feet. Since my bike engine exposure covers a silhouette area of, what, 5 square feet, then, the fraction of rain water onto the bike is [(5 square feet)/(27,878,400 square feet)] times 17.38 million gallons = 3.12 gallons.

So, how long would it take me to get 3.12 gallons from a hose (the equivalent of one inch of rain over the area ob the bike)? At most 30 seconds?

How long would it take to get an inch of rain fall? If it's coming down at a rate of 1 inch every 30 seconds, you'd better find Noah.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts