V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i've had my fxdx one month,new.
all nuts and bolts are showing signs of metal corrosion already, white furry stuff, frame when looked at closely around welds ,signs of rust red spots, all discs, in the cut outs, any were steel looking corrosion , swing arm .alloy wheels white salty looking stuff forming, is this normal for a h-d , very disappointed, if this is ride the dream then its going to be a nightmare by the looks of things ,the bike is kept in a dry garage, please help, ps the bike is wiped over with oil and wax, it has'nt even seen rain yet.:badmood:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Not sure what happened to yours, but at three years mine is fine. Mine even lived outside in a bike bubble its first year, because I traveled a lot. The only nasty bolts I have are the usual ones on the muffler, but they aren't even really that bad.

Did they dunk that thing in the pond on the way over to you?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you don't live on the shore of the big salty ocean by chance? I've heard of bikes having problems when out near salt water for long periods.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hoooooooooooooly Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!
After reading the link to the link to the "other" thread i have in fact determined that the bike cannot be saved and should be sold at 50% off msrp and I amwilling to help you out and buy it from you.....but you gotta comp for shipping.
Deal?:whistle:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rusty weld seams

My 05 FX has some orange spots inside some weld seams on the frame,also I would bet to save .50 the mo-co bast-rds would not coat the inside of the frame.Granted I have ridden my bike in the rain a few dozen times.I try to keep wd40 or pb blaster soaked into the problem areas,I would guess all hd's have this to some extent...........................spring is around the corner..Gary

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
roly said:
hi
i've had my fxdx one month,new.
all nuts and bolts are showing signs of metal corrosion already, white furry stuff, frame when looked at closely around welds ,signs of rust red spots, all discs, in the cut outs, any were steel looking corrosion , swing arm .alloy wheels white salty looking stuff forming, is this normal for a h-d , very disappointed, if this is ride the dream then its going to be a nightmare by the looks of things ,the bike is kept in a dry garage, please help, ps the bike is wiped over with oil and wax, it has'nt even seen rain yet.:badmood:
I'd say you have a moisture problem in your garage. It could be coming up throught the concrete or could also be caused by parking a warm cage next to the bike on cold days - this can cause condensation to form on the bike. Here's what i suggest you do before it gets worse. Get yourself a good corrosion preventer like this http://www.x-autoproducts.com/pages/product_corrosionx.htm. And also get a Harley bubble. Park your bike in the bubble when it's not being ridden. Do these things and i'd bet you never have anymore problems with corrosion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rust

hi miles to go,g everett.
the orange spots are in the same place, i noticed them with a halogen spot light. good trick for finding early problems and leaks. day one of having the bike gave the alloy and metal parts a wipe over with oily rag . i do live by the sea . theirs a few bikes in the garage , none have this problem, i use a bmw gs adv for 3 winters always when its raining and cold ,salt on the roads, no rust on it ,in fact i don't even clean it because its lagged in oil and wax, i do check it weekly for problems because of the wet and salt. i have a buell city x i use on dry days , i presume it has the same fastners as the fxdx,no alloy furring though. i can handle the fastners deteriorating, but not the frame rusting at the welds and edges, its sad, the wheelsl i can polish. theirs no chemicals near it either. its only done 80 miles , whats it going to be like with 18000 on it. hey guys thanks for the feed back, could of bought three bikes with the money , summer dry day , winter wet day, best one .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
postage

hi 71 baldboy
like your style, if i sent you the bike ,buy the time it got to you it would be a pile of rust and fur.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
roly said:
hi miles to go,g everett.
the orange spots are in the same place, i noticed them with a halogen spot light. good trick for finding early problems and leaks. day one of having the bike gave the alloy and metal parts a wipe over with oily rag . i do live by the sea . theirs a few bikes in the garage , none have this problem, i use a bmw gs adv for 3 winters always when its raining and cold ,salt on the roads, no rust on it ,in fact i don't even clean it because its lagged in oil and wax, i do check it weekly for problems because of the wet and salt. i have a buell city x i use on dry days , i presume it has the same fastners as the fxdx,no alloy furring though. i can handle the fastners deteriorating, but not the frame rusting at the welds and edges, its sad, the wheelsl i can polish. theirs no chemicals near it either. its only done 80 miles , whats it going to be like with 18000 on it. hey guys thanks for the feed back, could of bought three bikes with the money , summer dry day , winter wet day, best one .
I can't say why different bikes react differently in the same environment. I don't think wiping parts with an oily rags does much to prevent corrosion though. Get yourself a good spray product like CorrosionX that will penetrate those little cracks and crevices and reapply every time you wash the bike or get caught in the rain. Replace the rusty fasteners with some quality polished stainless.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Rusty GW Interstate

In 1982 I purchased a new Honda GW. I had no garage at the time, so it wuz kept covered outside the first year I owned it. Altho I took exceptional care of it, by spring it had rust spots on most of the metal chrome. (The plastic chrome survived). I always had to give the spots special care after that. The point being......any bike will start rusting, oxidizing if it is allowed to have condensation formed on it. I use two fans in my unheated garage to eliminate the condensation build up and neither H-D has had any problems so far.:fart:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
roly said:
hi 71 baldboy
like your style, if i sent you the bike ,buy the time it got to you it would be a pile of rust and fur.
That's the problem! Those "fur"ry critters must be piddling on it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Shipping machinery overseas is always a huge corrosion headache. The high humidity and the salt during a sea voyage will let corrosion start anyplace it can get a teeny fingerhold, microscopic cracks especially.

Corrosion-X works fairly well. Sealing the machinery inside plastic helps. Even wooden crating helps somewhat.

How does the MoCo prepare bikes for shipping overseas? Anybody know?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts