V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on an "83 Sportster that was in a million pieces. I pulled the jugs and they were filled with rust so I began tearing down more. I opened the case and water poured out. The flywheel was sitting in water and has rust on it. Can it be sanded off or am I looking at a new flywheel?

·
Super Moderator
3,087 Posts
Sure you can clean the wheels off.The problem is... are the bearings rusted or pitted? Unless the flywheels are taken apart for inspection it's a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure you can clean the wheels off.The problem is... are the bearings rusted or pitted? Unless the flywheels are taken apart for inspection it's a roll of the dice.
I am going to replace the bearings since I am already there. I am just worried about having the replace the flywheel at this point.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The flywheel is balanced, (via the holes) but it's not a finely tuned high rpm racecar. From what I can see in your photo, sanding the rust off won't hurt anything. You won't need a new one.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
replacing the left side bearings is a pita,, replacing the rod bearings requires splitting the flywheels.. then the pinion bearing on the other side..
all these bearings need fitting
the bearings arent just knock them out or off,, put some new ones in and all is well,,, fitting is required,,
a mistake here,, and the engine is toast...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replacing the left side bearings is a pita,, replacing the rod bearings requires splitting the flywheels.. then the pinion bearing on the other side..
all these bearings need fitting
the bearings arent just knock them out or off,, put some new ones in and all is well,,, fitting is required,,
a mistake here,, and the engine is toast...
Really thinking that I am out of my depth on this part. Think I will be making a trip to a shop this week.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Watch Tatro Machine on youtube and you will see what's involved in balancing a flywheel. It's a process that requires skill an patience.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Sounds like the bike was under water. I would never use that engine, some others might after they thoroughly had it rebuilt. I would opt for a crate engine and not go through the work of making sure the original engine was perfect.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is a lot of effort to be putting into an Ironhead Sportster. Unless you have some sentimental attachment to the bike, it might not be worth it. Depending on where you are, there might not be anybody close around that can or will work on the motor. Anything more than simple wrench turning, might have to send it out.

·
Super Moderator
20,467 Posts
Take it apart and clean it up, then go back with fresh bearings. If the water got into the rod bearings, just put a new rod and pin set in it. Lot easier than lapping and roller fitting.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Send it out for a big bore kit and stroker flywheel, take it to stage 11.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Hd sprint 83 Hd Iron head Sporty 94 Hd FXDL
17 Posts
In my opinion either do the work wright or find someone who can.I own a 83 Sporty and a 94 Lowrider and I’d rather ride the Sporty any day. It will always head turner wherever I go.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I rode a 84 sportster for 13 years, but it doesn't compare to a big-twin, especially when two-up. If you can do the work yourself it could be a fun project, but it wouldn't be worth paying someone to do it,

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got my hands on an "83 Sportster that was in a million pieces. I pulled the jugs and they were filled with rust so I began tearing down more. I opened the case and water poured out. The flywheel was sitting in water and has rust on it. Can it be sanded off or am I looking at a new flywheel?

View attachment 266847
What did you pay for this 83 sportster. I’m looking at a 1970 sportster. I just don’t know what it’s worth. It’s been poorly stored in a guys garage since about 1975.
anyone got any ideas????

·
Registered
794 Posts
yeah tatro throws the sht around but hes fast and accurate..kinda like me ....he prob has lotsa buisness tho...cause hes fast and accurate....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts