V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put drag pipes on the bike, watched the chrome flake off when I started the thing and warmed it up. Someone once told me long ago to line the inside the pipes with thick grease to stop the chrome from burning off. Seen some metrics with a pipe inside the pipe that retained the chrome. Metrics, British and USA machines all seem to burn the chrome. Is there a cure to stop that old color of chromegone??????

·
Registered
924 Posts
If the chrome burned of flaked off when the motor got hot it was most likely due to crappy chrome plating, or the motor running way too hot. Chrome will usually turn yellow and then blue. This is normal. Nothing wrong will discolored pipes, just means the bike is being ridden.
Dual walled pipes will solve that but don't know if they make them for drag pipes. Probably not.
You can get the insides of the pipes ceramic coated and rechrome the outside. This won't be cheap but it should help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These pipes I been running are pitted beyond repair. Been lookin at different ones but I fear more cheap chrome. Guess I need to shop around but those things are a little too pricy for what they are. Can't find anyone local who is capable of making tight bends let alone a chrome shop. Right now, flat black seems to be the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts