V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word on the street is the 01/02 FLH bikes are experiencing flaking at the neck and down tubes causting them to rust.

Check yours out and post the results.

I checked mine and so far it appears OK.

Not the case with some.

HD is replacing the frames. Your dealer support is critical.

Interesting to find out how wide spread the problem is.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mine is going, but then again I live in a 'Rusty' cuntry and the bike lives out in the acid rain. :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 2000 rk classic, 7700 miles. have a patch of rust about i"x2"at thetop of the frame on the engine side. will tajlking to the dealer tomorrow. havenet seen any my 2003 s/b uc yet.....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
MilesOfSmiles said:
HD is replacing the frames. Your dealer support is critical.
Dealer Support, whats that? For all you UK lurkers out there Bauer Millett in Manchester's aftersales is non existant, unless you're paying for some work to be done, and even then they DON'T do the half of it!!!
There, I feel a bit better now
riverman4111 said:
will talking to the dealer tomorrow.
Riverman, let us all know what they say.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
chatted with service mgr. today. helooked at bike, said they had a couple that had had this cond. was caused from the prep work before powder coating.he suggested to let them clean it up real good and repaint. i asked about replacing the frame? said they could,but didnt recomend that . i told him to go ahead and paint the small spot, i really didnt want them taking the bike completly apart and back again. it looke good after repaint..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So long as you're happy with it , not them......... :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Guess I'm a late comer to this thread but I thought I'd throw my experience out here anyway. '02 FLHRI, picked up May '02, 8,500 miles, located NE OH. Sometimes ridden in rain, kept immaculate.

*Slight* surface rust around the edges of the weep hole in the center of the frame gusset in front of the front cylinder rocker box cover. I sprayed thru the weep holes with WD-40 to get a protectant film in there. I'll just add that to my preventative maintenance list.

FWIW, a buddy of mine has a '99 Ultra with about 10,000 miles on it. His frame looks pretty ugly around that same weep hole. Rust and some surface pitting. So, this isn't restricted to '02 bikes IMHO. The rust area extends about an inch around that weep hole.

If mine was as bad as some pic's I've seen here I'd definitely have the dealer do something. Frame replacement would be my last choice since I don't think any dealer mechanic could do as good a job of reassembly as the MoCo can. If there was any way possible to treat it and refinish it that's the way I'd go. Just my .02 cents.

Starin out the window at snow in the yard. Guess the season around here is over for a few months. :-[ Ya'll in warmer climates take a ride for us Yankee's, ok?

-jeff

·
Banned
999 Posts
that stuff flaked off the front of the frame on my 95 and its flaking off in the same area on my 01. dont worry about it,paint it.

If you want to hear more of a frame horror story, read on.

my 95 (SYBIL) rotted out in the gussets on both rear lower sections where the rear down tube curves into the lower part of frame,either where it makes the bend under the primary or the opposite side under the tranny. ended up not being in the tubes but the metal that is welded on in these areas. I ended up taking complete bike apart from steering head back and forming and welding in some new metal. that wasnt only problem during this repair, in fact this repair started out as the drive pulley splines were wiped out and decided to R+R belt while at it. needed to remove swingarm which ended up having a broken swingarm bolt seized in tranny. ended up removing engine and tranny with swingarm still attached, then found frame rust. ended up with tranny in machine shop,they had to slice the tranny to get bolt out and reweld tranny case. so I finally welded in new metal, replaced pulley, put motor and tranny back in bike, on first test ride I went about ten miles and clutch wouldnt work anymore. to make a long story short, the frigging side door on the trans failed where it supports the mainshaft bearing so I got to take the tranny back apart in the bike(I had just put it in) and do some more work.

thats why the bike is called Sybil, it exhibits multiple personalities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts