V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Screamin' Eagle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, if any are the issues running without an air cleaner cover? I have had people say it is an issue, and people have said it is not an issue. I hate the football, prefer with the open air cleaner with trim ring, but don't want to be asking for problems.

Thanks!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
K&N has told me both ways yes it will have issues and no it will not. I have used many on my own bikes and we install a fair amount on customers bikes. I have ridden in down pours that got so bad , where I had to pull over as I could not see 20 ft in front of the bike. Never had a issue.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
ericsenf said:
What, if any are the issues running without an air cleaner cover? I have had people say it is an issue, and people have said it is not an issue. I hate the football, prefer with the open air cleaner with trim ring, but don't want to be asking for problems.

Thanks!
I use the Zipper K&N filter and a Dewey smooth cover on 90% of the builds I do, it does give you a few more ponies because your getting cooler air instead of air of the hot engine from the foot ball cover. Riding in a Florida down pour isn't the best thing to do with an open filter but then again who wants to ride in a down pour. I have had customers that said the bike had some misses during a rain storm but thats the worst complaint I have had.

Attachments

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
One time I had a small issue. Got caught in a downpour and went thru a large standing puddle. Didn't realize how deep it was, and had the tsunami wash over me from the front wheel. It drowned out the motor by smothering the air flow. Sat on the side of the road for about 3 minutes for the water to drip off the aircleaner, fired it up and rode away. Thats the only time I've had an issue.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
38k and no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Been doin it for years...no issues. I would recommend covering the filter when washing. You will wash the oil from the filter and need to keep applying it.

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
10K on my fatty with no issues.
Half a dozen forays into rain that forced me to stop (zero visability), and lots of trips through basic showers (SW Florida).
Never a hiccup . . .

·
Screamin' Eagle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There... this looks much better. Now I just need to get my taller air cleaner from Thunder Max.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I think I will try the heavy breather out. But that does look pretty cool with the skull cover. Did you gain any extra power by removing the football? Any retune necessary?

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
ericsenf said:

Thanks!

I've been running exposed since 1999 without any issues......

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Registered
474 Posts
1711tab said:

There are indecency laws against riding that way; I hope you at least use sun block! LOL!!!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
How about a rain cover? I put a Forcewinder on a previous chopper and it came with a rain cover. It's just a little sock that slides over the open element - takes like 2 seconds to install. I never used it so i can't say whether it works or not. I guess it would be good to have if you got caught in a downpour and needed to keep riding. Personally, if it's raining that hard then i'm pulling off somewhere.

·
Screamin' Eagle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VtwinJaxFL said:
I think I will try the heavy breather out. But that does look pretty cool with the skull cover. Did you gain any extra power by removing the football? Any retune necessary?
I don't know if there is any power gain or retune needed yet. I am still running the break-in tune on my bike and will not likely re-tune until it get above 70 again.

·
OWOF
1,077 Posts
1711tab said:

I think they arrest you in GA for that. :yikes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Took the football off the first day I had my Deuce home. You know what fits perfectly and looks pretty darn good? One of the million AOL cds you have lying around the house. Goes on like it was made for it, looks great in the sun. Free. What's not to like? Jim

·
<><
3,971 Posts
tommydorsey said:
Took the football off the first day I had my Deuce home. You know what fits perfectly and looks pretty darn good? One of the million AOL cds you have lying around the house. Goes on like it was made for it, looks great in the sun. Free. What's not to like? Jim
I saw a bike with a CD on the breather. It looked so good I stopped to ask him what it was!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
How often do you guys have to clean and oil your filter while running exposed? I have been running mine for the last 6000 miles and it seems I have to clean it about once a month, 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
ericsenf said:
There... this looks much better. Now I just need to get my taller air cleaner from Thunder Max.
@gree: Much better.

Never any problems with mine either...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts