V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres the deal. Any input is appreciated.

2003 Heritage Softail, 6500 miles, in Massachusetts winter stored in a shed.
- Last year I stored it on a battery tender with a real good fuel stabilizer in the full tank of gas. Didn't start it from Dec to Feb and she ran rich until the talk with stabilizer was used. Then she ran fine all season.
- This year a few friends and a harley repair shop owner talked me out of the stabilizer. I was told to keep it on the tender and start it every week or two and let it get to normal operating temp to avoid condensation in the oil.
- Last couple of starts it runs rich from the start all the way through the temp range. I don't get it????:huh:
- All fluids, spark plugs, and air filter changed last summer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Too bad you listened to some bad advice. You've probably got some issues with gas starting to go bad. You also ain't doing that engine any good by just starting it up and letting is sit and idle. It takes a run of 15-20 miles to get rid of condensation in the engine. All you're doing is stirring things up and leaving it in the engine.

I'd put some type of carb or injector cleaner (you didn't give any info on the bike which would have helped), then run it for at least 5 minutes. Then I'd put some stabilizer in it, run it for 5 more minutes, then just leave it sit. Just my opinion though.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'l give it a try. I'd rather screw around with it in the cold than troubleshoot when it warms up instead of riding. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incase anyone is checking back. I used the carb cleaner, then the fuel stabilizer, and replaced the spark plugs. Now she is back to normal. ?prty:
Now all I have to do is not start her again until the weather breaks. Not so easy, I get a severe case of separation anxiety over the winter. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts