V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I was riding home last night from the city (at 2AM) and a cager pointed out that I had no running lights on the rear of the bike. Glad she did, my ride home (50+ miles) was on a not so well lit highway, so I rode the rest of the way with my emergency flashers on. I don't care what it looked like, I got home safe without some drunk moron rear ending me.

Anyway, the blinkers work when I turn them on and so does the brake light when I hit the brakes, but they don't stay on as running lights. The head light works fine and the running lights on the front (the front blinkers) work fine. Any idea what might have happened? Bad fues? Thanks alot for any info...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...did you check the bulb? The taillight has an element for the brake and another for the running light.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
running lights and brake lights are on different fuses... accessory fuse for brake and signals, lights fuse for running lights.

check bulb and fuses!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Running lights? The only light on the back is the tail light, unless you have a fender tip light, or an ultra with the tour pak lights.

The tail light is pretty simple to change if that is out.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Try jiggling the ignition switch. There are two circuits completed by the ignition switch when in the on position.
I think that one of the two making a bad connection could cause this symptom. While the problem is occurring, "jiggle" the ignition switch. If the problem goes away, either take apart and clean the contacts on the ignition switch or replace it.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not the bulb because the blinkers work when I hit the right/left signal switch. The brake light also works when I hit the brakes.

When the bike is turned on the brake light and all four turn signals are always on (slightly dim). That is what I mean by running lights. For whatever reason, the read turn signals and brake light are not on when I turn the bike on. I don't have any accessory lights on my bike.

I'll check my manual and see what fuse it could be... Thanks...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
petrock said:
Its not the bulb because the blinkers work when I hit the right/left signal switch. The brake light also works when I hit the brakes.
signals and brake lighting are on the same fuse... the accessory fuse.

running lights are on the lights fuse.

check the fuses.

taillight has a dual filament bulb... low brightness for running light and high brightness fro brake light... the running light filament may be burnt out... check the bulb.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...Thanks Doc!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Harris said:
The rear are NOT running lights. It's a single filament bulb. Only the front function as running lights.

Harris
to clarify... he means the rear turn signals have single filament bulbs and only function as turn signals... unless you change them or add a module. ;)

G

·
DrHeathenScum said:
to clarify... he means the rear turn signals have single filament bulbs and only function as turn signals... unless you change them or add a module. ;)
Correct. In the stock configuration, the rear has only the red taillight on until the brakes are applied, and the two amber lights are only turn signals, not running lights (those are the single filament bulbs I was referring to). It sounds like the tail light filament on Petrock's stop/tail light bulb simply burned out.

Harris

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
DrHeathenScum said:
so, did ya fix it? or do I need to come down there and show you where the taillight bulb is? :D :D :D
Hehe, no I haven't fix it yet, but I know what the problem is... Thanks for the tips, btw... I took the rear tail light off and looked at the bulb. The coil on the longer sticks (for lack of a better word) is broken, which I guess is the running light coil. Gonna go to the stealer tomorrow and pick up a new one. Thanks for the help. Glad its not something more "expensive"...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...post # 2 "....did you check the bulb? Sometimes I just don't understand how "technical" and "difficult" some of these threads become.

Oh well......no pain - no gain.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
btw, you can get a new bulb at any auto parts store... probably for less, though it might not have a bar n shield on it ;)
Didn't know that. Kragen, Pepboys and Autozone are near by. I assume it has to have specific specs to work properly, correct? What type? Any specific brand? Don't want to get the wrong part. Thanks...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Yes its a 3157 bulb (at least in the '06 Night Trains). Went to Pepboys and picked up a pair of long life bulbs, only $4. Thanks for the tip DrHeathenScum... Now for a nice WARM night ride... :)

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Wow 18 posts for a burned out tail light, I mean running light bulb. Glad you got it fixed.:coffee:
Always a good idea to do a walk around and check all the light before you ride, especially if it will be at night.
Ride safe Petrock.

·
Harleys Nothing Compares
176 Posts
My God Im an Aircraft Mech for the Airlines and I have heard in the past that Avionics Guys never check the BULBS -- cant be the bulb NO WAY IN HELL the Bulb is bad has tp be the wires the socket anything but the bukb LOL -- Any way if you think the bulb is bad but not sure maybe you cant see the filament the easiest wat to make sure is -- OHM/Continunity check the Bastard and be sure if it has continuity it is ok

1 - 20 of 20 Posts