V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldnt find an electrical/lighting forum so I posted here.
I bought a 99 customized Fatbo back in Jan, and so far everything is great. The only problem is that I want the rear signals to work as running lights. I looked under the seat and I have the H-D controller already plugged in, but no running light function. I noticed that some of the factory wires were cut and shrink wrapped off. Some were cut and spliced into wiring for the side mount license plate.
Here's the thing, if I remove the module and plug the factory connectors together I should retain normal signal functions, right?
WRONG, when I do this, the rear signal bcome completely dead!

I'm super tight on cash, so I havent been able to buy a service manual yet (wiring diagrams), so I was hoping someone here may have some insight, or can someone email me the proper pages from the service manual, till I get my own of course.

Thanks in advance!

G

·
The HD controller adds brake light function to the rear turn signals, but not running lights. You have 2 options to gain running lights:

Buy (possibly used from somebody who put on aftermarket lights...) front tun signal assemblies, install them on the rear and hook up the running light wire. $??? plus time to rig wiring.

Replace the HD controller with the Kuryakyn unit that provides both brake and running light functions. $40 (last I checked), just plugs in. I've got one of these, works great!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It's funny that I went to the H-D dealer to get the Kuryakyn Smart wire for $40, and the guy shows me the Harley part instead and says it's the same thing. That's when I told him I already have one of those, so he says "have the guys at service check it out and do it for you" I was not aware that the HD unit does not have running light functions, but what you said made sense since I do have brake lights/turn signals.

Sorry about the long reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts