V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a Ruger Alaskan .454 next year. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hi.

I have fired a Casull 454.....Once.

That was all the fun I wanted.

I had a model 57 S&W in 41 with a Light 4 inch at one time, it worked quite well as a back pack carry, wish I still had it.

I think sometimes we get all caught up in the Biggest and the baddest round to come down the Pike, i just do not see the need for a hand cannon like this, If i was in Bear territory, I would much rather have a good old pump 12 gauge with slugs.

Just remember with Bears, it ain't how hard you hit it, it's were you hit it, you have to take out the nervous system, and a round with good power that you can control it far better then one shot and it flies out of your hand, or it take 15 seconds to get the second shot off.

I think a 41 or 44 is plenty.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I too recently went shopping for a "camp gun". Shot a hand cannon just once. Like Jeffytune said: "That was all the fun I wanted". I finally settled on a Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag. Yup, it's got a little jump to it, but at least I can pratice with the rounds I'll carry in it without hurting myself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Alaskan in a short barrel (2") appears to have a lot of recoil. I have seen them being shot but never shot one myself. A friend has the Bear Kit SW 460 with the compensator and it is a handful. I've also heard the .500 is a lot to handle in a short barrel. Getting second + shots is tougher, especially on charging animals. But recoil is relative to everyone differently and it is pretty cool.

See youtube including:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MNlhoznNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUKyJHWvAww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z18b4nTCV3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3NRQQ_xuA

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
A 4" barrel is much easier to shoot accurately. Dunno if if concealment is a priority but that large frame will be harder to hide than 2" extra barrel length.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
dhwingert said:
I'm considering getting a Ruger Alaskan .454 next year. Anyone have any experience with them?
I have had a Ruger Super RedHawk in .454 Casul with a 9.5" barrel for a few years now and it's a handful. The .454 is simply a ferocious round! I always shoot it LAST, because after about 10 rounds, my hand needs a nice, long rest! Having said that, I love it. I seriously considered an Alaskan (even after I bought the SRH), but never did because I KNOW it would be a very hard piece to control. I can't imagine it being useful for anything other than shooting a bear in the face at 6' or less - and I don't go where they are!

My son has a couple of S&W .500's and a .460VXR. Believe it or not, they all seem a bit more civil to the hand (even the stubby .500) than my .454 - perhaps due to design.

If you really need a piece in this category, I suggest you try to get some time behind the .460VXR and .500, then try the Alaskan. You really do need to experience this class of artillery before you buy. If you are hell bent on getting one, look close at the .460VXR - the .460 round is absolutely amazing PLUS it will also accept .454 Casul [and maybe even the .45 Long Colt - which my Super RedHawk does].

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
The raw power of the S&W .500 is impressive, no doubt. IMO the .460's versatility makes it a better choice. The full power loads are close to the .500's and the ability to shoot .454's and 45 Long Colt's as well is just too cool.

Sorry about the hijack dhwingert, I don't have any experience with the Alaskan.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
After working up loads for my .357 & .44 Ruger Blackhawks, I decided if I were to aquire another piece it would be a .41 Bisley. The full loads for the .44 were...taxing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
454 ????

I had a taurus 454 with a factory ported barrel...very little barrel flip... but wow the mussel BLAST was LOUD..great gun ...if you want a BIG hand gun the 454 is great.:brows:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts