V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 FLHPI has the rubber mounted handlebars, but they either need tightening up or something since the handlebars will twist a bit when I hit a bump or put too much down pressure on them. What is necessary to do in order to tighten them up?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has a little play in them too. I'd be curious to see if that's normal also.
2001 flpi
Mine has more than a little play in them. They will drop a couple of inches if I press down on them. I'm not sure if it just needs new rubber bushings or if there is a way to tighten them up. I've taken the top cover off, but I didn't see where they were attached.

If someone could post a link to some photos it would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
IRON BUTT
137 Posts
If you turn your handlebars to hard left or right side, you can see the bolts for the handlebar mounts on the bottom of the top triple tree. If you think they're soft, you can replace them with this HD part 56298-03. Instruction sheet for this part also shows where bolts are.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You have taller than normal bars, which will have more stress on the rubber. This rubber wears out - they make urethane replacements for apes, these will work for your cop bars, too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
also, if the bars are moving up or down, the clamps may need a good tightening. some later police models have two access holes below the tach mount to adjust them there. if it continues to slip, many people replace the individual straps on the bar clamp to a one piece clamp that holds much better. you'll have to get into the nacelle to change this however.

head

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 EG police and I am looking into adding passenger floorboards and a back seat....with the exhaust location on the left side...do I need to get extentions for the mounts or should the new boards clear the exhaust?

·
Registered
15,966 Posts
Since it's been 8 yrs, I think they've got it figured out by now.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts