V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
RUB

The term describes, in a not very attractive fashion, those persons who are often recent to H/D, have buckets of money, and live in urban areas.

Rich
Urban
Biker

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
yeah, not like me a; Poor Urban Katsup Eater

·
Banned
490 Posts
Herein lies the rub...

RUB stands for "Rich Urban Biker", also known as Rolex Riders. Affluent, city-dwelling professionals who buy and ride Harleys as more of a fashion statement and contrasted with the tradional blue-collar "outlaw" image of bikers.

Other variations on this theme include:

"Sewers" - Suburban Weekend Riders
"Riots" - Retired idiots on Tour
"Ahabs" - Aspiring Hard-Assed Bikers
"Bastards" - Bought a Sporter, Therefore a Radiacal Dude and
"Hoots" - Have One Ordered; true Story

For a truly encylopaedic examination of the phenomenon, try reading Brock Yates "Outlaw Machine", 1999, Little Brown & Co.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was talking to a guy who rides a cb1000 Honda, and he says "my sister has a 1200 sporster custom and she has 9 miles on it this year, she thinks it will appreciate in value" I think the opposite is going to happen a year or two after the 100th, a lot of people will get sick of having bikes collecting dust in the garage and start dumping them. I have no idea what you would call here I don't think she qualfies as a rub safe riding rickpoco

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
On the other hand....some RUBs don't deserve all the misplaced hatred (or is it jealousy?) that seems to come their way. I grew up lower middle-class, wrenched on all my clunker cars, worked my way through college as a welder and loading cargo, worked as a hands-on engineer, worked long hard hours including a lot of grueling travel, rode used Hondas through most of those years and moved into a pretty decent management role. Got married early, stayed focused on family like I should have (that's my lifestyle....not the so called biker lifestyle). So at 40 I bought a Harley and if I'm lucky I ride one 150 trip on a weeknight every week and a weekend ride or two each month. With the hours I work and the travel I am lucky to get 2500 miles a year in. I have the money to spend on dressing up the bike but I do all the wrenching myself including all the routine services. I read evey day about so called bikers complaining about dealer service which means they must be taking their bike in a whole lot more than this RUB does.

The point is I don't care what you call me, I don't want to be a "biker" so get over yourself guys (not directed at any of the posters here). Sure I like a beer here and there but I happen to enjoy good Scotch and a good Cigar more. I'm sure as hell not the one buyin all the HD logo stuff...I never even bought a T-shirt from them so i didn't cause the prices to go up. I paid MSRP for my bike so I didn't contribute to the dealer gouging problem. And heaven forbid...I like golf too. I don't dress to pose as anything, my leathers are free of patches and pins....no do-rags in my closet...my boots are as worn as anybodies because they are 10 years old. Rich?...yeah I suppose by most standards I am. Urban?...clearly yes. Biker?... I do love to ride. So I guess I don't take RUB as a bad thing. Since when is being poor some kind of badge of honor?

How's that for a rambling post?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
How about, "Newbie"? I hate that fu(king phrase. I bet some nerdy puke like Bill Gates coined that phrase years ago and now it sticks to everything. Geez, everybody is a "newbie" at something everyday of their life. :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
A typical RUB.

Shut up and ride! :eek:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to laugh

I got called a RUB the other day by a long-time Harley owner. He rode less than 500 last year. I have put 1500 miles on my FXDL since I got it 34 days ago. Granted, this is my first Harley, but I have averaged 12,000 miles per year for a decade on various other bikes. As far as "rich" goes, I may make more than some people who work hard to afford a Harley, but I am far from rich. Perhaps I can be a "BUB" or broke urban biker.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Isn't he a member of the Village People?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Isn't he a member of the Village People?
Glad you said it first!:D LOL

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
This is a bullshit thread.

A Rich person is someone for whom work is an elective. If you're working, you ain't rich.

Urban is where the f*ckin' jobs are, I'd love to live in Montana but they have a serious shortage of high dollar jobs in Hungry Horse.

Lance Armstrong is a Biker, everybody else is just an enthusiast.

Worrying about if your a RUB is like worrying about if your a *****, if you're worried about it, you probably are.

just my $0.02

wyo

1 - 20 of 52 Posts