V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum, so, bear with me.

I'm considering upgrading to an SE ignition module. The advertisement reads that the rpm limiter is raised to 6000 rpm, up from the 5200 rpm of the stock module. I thought the rpm limit was set by valve springs (valves floating and crashing into the pistons) or something. Would my rpm redline really be raised to 6000 rpm or would I have to change the valve springs also?

WildBill

·
Registered
56 Posts
RPM's

It's not a good practice to spin a stock motor over 6000 RPM's, the stock valve train is only good for, maybe 6000. The stock cam won't produce any more power in that range anyway, that's why the stock ignition quits at 5200. If you change your cam to one that produces it's power in a higher RPM range then you need to raise the RPM limiter or the motor will not spin higher enough to benifit from the cam's potental, there fore you will not notice much of a gain. The programable ignitions are the best, the RPM's and advance curves can be both set to what is best for the set up you have. Also the stock valve springs are only good for a cam with a valve lift of no more than .500, anything with more lift needs stronger springs. If you decide to change your cam pick one that produces it's power in the RPM range that you drive most and you will be a lot happier. Higher RPM cams are better suited for racing. Just changing the ignition so that the RPM limiter is higher won't do anything for you, the advance curve might be a little more aggressive then the stock curve but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have SE mufflers and SE intake kit (stage 1) and it seemed to have some umph left until it shuts down at 5200 rpm. I am a torque freak and don't usually run high rpm's except for the occasional "getting on it". I have been looking at the programmable ignition but am uncertain on how to program it. Could I get more torque out of it? I have been looking at a torque cam like the SE 4 but don't want to bite off more than I could chew in changing a cam. How long does it take to change the cam? How hard is it? Would it really increase my torque? Questions, questions, questions. Please bear with me, I have a lot of experience with cars but am new to wrenching motorcycles.
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Installing a cam

Check out this site, a lot of good info, click on installing and it will give you step by step with photos on how to install a cam. The SE-4 is a good cam, Andrews makes some good torque cams EV-23, EV-13, and the EV-27 which is very simular to the SE-3 and SE-4, Andrews use to make the cams for Harley, I'm not positive if they still do.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/evocams.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdstage2.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdcam_evo_byman_ql.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
Roadhog is right........."the hip bone is connected to the leg bone"; and so it is with HD motors: timing, cam & valve springs sorta go together;
then yer gonna want some adjustable pushrods, and maybe some better lifters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts