V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that Royal Purple syn was just as good if not better than AMSOIL/HD SYN/ and RED LINE.
I have ran all in my FLSTCI, haven't noticed a difference in temp of the oil on my tank gauge?
So I think they are all full of dung.
So what should one use, they are almost double the price of synthetic for your car.
That is one thing that has gotten me since purchasing my bike, seems like everything is double the price.
Get your cars oil changed for $20, take the bike to the dealership and pay over 60.

HAWG1

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Well for $20 for your car you don't get synthetic. :spank:
Go have a look at Amsoils website and see where Royal Puke fits in the lineup.
It's lubrication properties are slightly better than warm piss.

If you're buying Royal Puke, your paying close to the same price as Amsoil, so suck it up, take care of your bike and get the better product for the same money.:whistle:

Brad

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
Well for $20 for your car you don't get synthetic. :spank:

If you're buying Royal Puke, your paying close to the same price as Amsoil, so suck it up, take care of your bike and get the better product for the same money.:whistle:

Brad
I don't think it is good advice to send someone to a website that sells a competing product to get comparison charts. That is like telling someone to go ask a car dealer if the cars they sell are better than the ones for sale at another dealership. If you want real world numbers it would have to be from an independent source.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Well I guess then you too should go look and read the info "from independant sources" that pertain to testing.
And then go look at the other major oil companies sites and see what they compair their oil to in the "independant source" tests...

If someone is bold enuf to list all the names of the competition, then they must have somewhat valid and reliable data.
:beer4u:
Brad

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
hawg1 said:
So what should one use, ...
Use whatever you want, just change it and the filter on a reasonable schedule.

Harleys run just fine on dino oil. ;)

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
wyodude said:
Use whatever you want, just change it and the filter on a reasonable schedule.

Harleys run just fine on dino oil. ;)
Well, my personal preferencece is Red Line, but I've used Amsoil ,Bel Ray ,Royal Purple.Mobil 1, Valvoline and I ran a damn many Knucks, Pans and Real Shovels on Wolf's Head, Amalie and Kendall dino's. I strictly run Synthetics now but it depends where my budget is at the time as to which one I buy !!!!:duh?: I hate when that happen's!!?prty:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Well, my personal preferencece is Red Line,
Me too. But my point is that the most important criteria is changing whatever you decide to use on a reasonable schedule.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I don't think it is good advice to send someone to a website that sells a competing product to get comparison charts. That is like telling someone to go ask a car dealer if the cars they sell are better than the ones for sale at another dealership. If you want real world numbers it would have to be from an independent source.
The Motorcycle Oil White Paper that is on Amsoil's web site WAS DONE by an independant lab.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
hawg1 said:
I was told that Royal Purple syn was just as good if not better than AMSOIL/HD SYN/ and RED LINE.
I have ran all in my FLSTCI, haven't noticed a difference in temp of the oil on my tank gauge?
So what should one use, they are almost double the price of synthetic for your car.
That is one thing that has gotten me since purchasing my bike, seems like everything is double the price.
Get your cars oil changed for $20, take the bike to the dealership and pay over 60.

HAWG1
The $60 dollar plus oil change at the dealership is with their dino oil. Not the synthetic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hawg1 said:

HAWG1
change your own oil man

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
plasterhead said:
change your own oil man
plasterhead,

How's the weather up there in Bean town?

I have an emergency business meeting next sat in boston, and I'm thinking about riding up :yes:

regards,

wyo

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:

Brad
Too funny!!!! You've never ran RP but you read it on the Internet so it has to be true!

I used to be an Amsoil dealer and fully agree that they make a fine product. I ran it in everything I own, my tractors, truck, ATV's and Harleys with good results. I just got tired of the MLM and all the propaganda in the mag I recieved every month. So I and decided to give Royal Purple a try. I ran extended drains using a by-pass filter in my diesel pickup while using Amsoil and continued to do so with RP. I have also always performed an oil analysis using Blackstone Labs. So therefore I have "MY" own independent analysis that directly compare Amsoil and Royal Purple in "MY" truck and I will just say this. I am perfectly happy with Royal Purple. And it is performing just fine in my Harley as well.

The real truth of the matter is this, it's damn hard to buy a bad oil now days.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Well for $20 for your car you don't get synthetic
But they will get a Technician thats lucky if they can find the drain plug. :unsure:

I have also always performed an oil analysis using Blackstone Labs.
Regardless of the oil choice and there is hype on all sides of the fence, the only way you are going to know how things are working in your machine is do do like quoted above, and thats have it analyzed. When you read the print out sheet in your hand, you know exactly how often you should be dropping the oil in your Bike.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
bay13 said:
But they will get a Technician thats lucky if they can find the drain plug. :unsure:

Regardless of the oil choice and there is hype on all sides of the fence, the only way you are going to know how things are working in your machine is do do like quoted above, and thats have it analyzed. When you read the print out sheet in your hand, you know exactly how often you should be dropping the oil in your Bike.
I think I have heard this before. Hmmm. I wonder where? Oh wait I have said it before on here. :duh?:

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
203 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
Well for $20 for your car you don't get synthetic.

Brad

gotta call BS on that, just changed my oil 3 days ago in my truck. One 4 quart jug of Mobile 1 20w50 and 1 quart bottle of same under $20....so you tellin me Mobile 1 fully syn. isn't syn? :spank:

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Your thinking is correct with typical advertising hype, but have you ever seen advertising that names the brands that they are testing against? Have you taken a look at the test results? You will see that amsoil did not come in first in every test. How do you explain that? Why would a company pay an indepedent lab to make it look bad?

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
I think I have heard this before. Hmmm. I wonder where? Oh wait I have said it before on here.
Well just so you know I use to work in the Grand Canyon, in a former life. I was payed good money to be an ECHO, ECHO,ECHo,ECho,Echo,echo , and I was real good at it until my voice started to go and I had to take early retirement. Now with the internet, I have a whole new career as long as my fingers will hold out.

Didn't know you said it, sorry man. I've used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis for almost 8 years, who would have known you said it, wait, you are right I think that's where I got the idea all those years ago, I must have heard you say it, see besides my voice going, my memory is on the way out as well.

Hang in there and keep a close watch I'm sure I'll "retype" something else you have said again, it's just a matter of time. I'll make sure to mention I got it from you should anyone ask.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
El Mongo said:
Too funny!!!! You've never ran RP but you read it on the Internet so it has to be true!

I used to be an Amsoil dealer and fully agree that they make a fine product. I ran it in everything I own, my tractors, truck, ATV's and Harleys with good results. I just got tired of the MLM and all the propaganda in the mag I recieved every month. So I and decided to give Royal Purple a try. I ran extended drains using a by-pass filter in my diesel pickup while using Amsoil and continued to do so with RP. I have also always performed an oil analysis using Blackstone Labs. So therefore I have "MY" own independent analysis that directly compare Amsoil and Royal Purple in "MY" truck and I will just say this. I am perfectly happy with Royal Purple. And it is performing just fine in my Harley as well.

The real truth of the matter is this, it's damn hard to buy a bad oil now days.

I think the REAL truth is you don't have a clue what I have run... :nfu2:
I have run Royal Puke, used if several times before I knew better, and it cost me a Dirt engine. The sh!t sucks, and that's from personal experience. I have run Amsoil in my work trucks for along time now, thus the reason for switching up on the scooter, and with my commercial prices, I can't buy walmart oil cheaper.
The whole point was, for the price of RP, you can have Amsoil, and it's proven to be a better product.

Brad

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
trmn8r-II said:
gotta call BS on that, just changed my oil 3 days ago in my truck. One 4 quart jug of Mobile 1 20w50 and 1 quart bottle of same under $20....so you tellin me Mobile 1 fully syn. isn't syn? :spank:

No I'm telling you that taking your car in for a change for $20 doesn't get you synthetic oil.. Read the original post and you just might get what you missed.

Brad

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
I think the REAL truth is you don't have a clue what I have run... :nfu2:
I have run Royal Puke, used if several times before I knew better, and it cost me a Dirt engine.
In this day and age just about everyone knows that oil related engine failures are few and far between, and that there are almost always mitigating circumstances. Consider this, you have made a very strong on a forum dedicated to people who are genuinely interested in learning about oil. So when you come on a board like this and make such a strong statement about the very product the folks are here to learn about then I would think it fair to ask you to provide some details and maybe even "gasp" proof. Otherwise it is just as I previously mentioned.....I read it on the Internet so it must be true!

And for the record, I have no qualms with Amsoil. As I mentioned, I tested the stuff using Blackstone and it performed exactly as Amsoil said it would. But I also tested Royal Purple back to back with the Amsoil. I still have those test results for anyone who wants to see them. And there in lays the difference.

But lets not let facts get in the way of a good discussion! :whistle:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts