V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ride Route 66 in summer of 2008. I have been doing a lot of research and I have discovered the Mother Road Route 66 Rally which is held annually. Has anyone ever done this rally or know anything about it?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have not participated in the "rally" or any guided ride so I can't comment on that per se.
But I've ridden about 75% of Route 66 over the years.

I don't know where you're from (close by any of the Route 66 states?) but frankly I can't imagine it would be a whole lot of fun to just try to ride all 2400+ miles in a short time (if that's your plan).

Certain things require a cursory stop (eg. Cadillac Ranch).
And there's a few stretches where there's not much to get excited about.
But there's several towns along the way that you can/should spend DAYS in.

Spend this winter studying some books by Michael Wallis (the best ones would probably be "Route 66 The Mother Road"...."Hogs on 66") and you'll enjoy the ride much much more!

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BluegrassBoy said:
I have not participated in the "rally" or any guided ride so I can't comment on that per se.
But I've ridden about 75% of Route 66 over the years.

I don't know where you're from (close by any of the Route 66 states?) but frankly I can't imagine it would be a whole lot of fun to just try to ride all 2400+ miles in a short time (if that's your plan).

Certain things require a cursory stop (eg. Cadillac Ranch).
And there's a few stretches where there's not much to get excited about.
But there's several towns along the way that you can/should spend DAYS in.

Spend this winter studying some books by Michael Wallis (the best ones would probably be "Route 66 The Mother Road"...."Hogs on 66") and you'll enjoy the ride much much more!
I live in Washington State so about 1800 miles to Chicago, 3 long days. Plan on fllying my wife to Chicago and riding all of Route 66 to LA. The rally takes 7 days or about 350 miles a day. I was thinking more like 250 to 300 miles a day with an extra day thrown in for misc. Have already sent for some material and am planning on 3 weeks away from work. Thanks for the info. Also thinking that the best time fo year would be in June.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Route 66

I have been looking at that Route 66 myself. I think it would be a great time.
To late for this year for me. I've booked my tickets to fly to Alberta Canada and then ride down to Grand Canyon over to L.A. then up to Vancouver.
I can't do two big trips in one year.

If you see an old guy riding a Blue BMW RT....say hello.

cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts