V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving serious thought to the 2006 Washington, D.C. ride to the Wall. I see there is a southern route leaving California and heading to Monroe, Louisana and then east northeast. But those guys are taking a slow ride to D.C., so I think I will go my own route.

I am in Houston, Texas and the shortest route for me is towards Rome, Georgia through Baton Rouge, La. and then on to D.C.

The Wash. ride is on the 28th of May, Sunday.Thought I would leave Houston on Thursday and get to Rome, Georgia that day: 750 miles more or less.Spend the
night and the next day there looking for my pre-civil war relatives that might still have descendants there. Then Friday late afternoon, I will probably leave Rome, Georgia and ride a few hours, stop and spend the night and then Saturday get to D.C.. Then ride Sunday and head back to Rome on Monday, spend the night and then head back to Houston on Tuesday.

I probably won't take the scenic route unless I decide to dedicate a bit more time to the adventure which I doubt I can do. Anyway, it is a tribute run and not much of a sightseeing run.

If anyone wants to meet up, give me a holler.

Seabrook Trick Bagger

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I go every year. I go down with an M/C club. We rent out an entire hotel and have a ball every year. We go visit and pay our respects to every monument. We pay special attention the THE WALL. The club has its own ceremony there. The parade is crazy, but good. Last year they could have done a better job keeping the spectators back on the street, but i guess it wasn't that bad considering the amount of people. Long story short, it's a great ride (330 miles or so each way), and we have a geat time partying all weekend and get to pay our respects to all the vets that REALLY deserve it...STb have a great, safe ride.........

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the parade pace? Cook your oil? How many miles is the parade route? I hope to stay with a relative in Alexandria or downtown D.C. if possible.

330 miles? 1450 miles for me.

Thanks for info.

Seabrook

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
THe parade pace varies the whole time...It starts out idling in lot for 10-15 minutes (more if you are lined up in back). Then it starts out pretty good like 15mph then as you pass by thunder alley is start to creep...for a while like 10-20 minutes...The last leg is the worst though. Last year was pretty hot and me and a couple guys ended up peeling off toward the end of it..It is awesome to be in it, but its an all day affair...you have to be there really early, so you can hurry up and wait. If you have never done it before I suggest to do it at least once. THe m/c club i ride with is always in front of the parade so its not bad for us. If you bike is worked a little you may want to think twice though. My dad has an se 103 and his went into shutdown mode once..Thats when we peeled off. We flew up the highway to cool the engine/clutches off......I would recomend Alexandria as thats where we stay. Its an easy ride to everything.....need more info, let me know...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
STB said:
How's the parade pace? Cook your oil? How many miles is the parade route? I hope to stay with a relative in Alexandria or downtown D.C. if possible.

330 miles? 1450 miles for me.

Thanks for info.

Seabrook
I live in the area (13 miles south) and have participated...it's not been real hot up until last year but the number of bikes seemed smaller and they've tweaked the route a little too, seems to have helped to keep things moving...it used to cook more than your oil...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
STB said:
It rains for RT more often than not.

Give a shout when time gets near, there are a bunch of us that do RT every year.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
393 Posts
i would love to ride with the nam vets to the wall, course iam more like desert thunder:cheers:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

for offers and info.

I will stay in touch.

BTW, this board keeps dumping my password etc and losing the responses before I can post them. Gettin' a bit old.

STB

·
I ain't right
391 Posts
STB, give me shout when the time gets closer. I try and go every year. Not sure what part of GA you'll be in but if you're close to I85 we can try and ride up together. I've got room if you need a place to crash.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I'll be leaving from Baton Rouge but I'm going through Key West on the way. My "catching up for four years tour". I'll be researching :boobies: bars of the South East. Watch for my book.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok

Terminknotter: Georgia- looks like I will go through Atlanta and stay over: first leg. Will post as time gets closer. Montgomery to Atlanta to Charlotte looks like my route to Richmond Va and then DC. Probably get to Atlanta on Thursday evening. Get to Richmond Va Friday afternoon. Spend Saturday in D.C. and Sunday. Leave Monday for Atlanta or as far as I can get heading back to Texas.

Key West: CSODay, heck of a detour. I was stationed there '73 to '75 (prior century). Cuban subs, tequila sunrise (skip the grenadine and use sloe gin ;-). Stumbled into DelMonico's by accident and made it out alive and most importantly, unscathed . I hear ya' gotta be careful, still, in Key West as some of the bars are still quite happy.

STB

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am also in VA about 8 miles from the pentagon,did R/T last year,hot and lots of bokes,will do this year also ,just be more up front.less wait

·
Registered
46 Posts
we rode last year, went up Friday, visited the local dealerships (ft. Washington was my favorite) Did Thunder Alley and Ft. Washington HD again. Sunday we had a nice breakfast and headed over to the Pentagon. Get there early. First bikes in, first out. I'd get there no later than 8:30. First bike out around noon. Take sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Not amny do and the few vendors who are there get swamped. Jiffy Johns were backed up so most folks hit the woods and raised the level of the lake. There are groups there with free water. It was a blast seeing all the bikes and the ride was awesome, folks running out into the street to slap hands with you, best part was a Marine standing and saluting all who rode.....WE got out onto Constitution (I think) and let it rip, no overheating here. Rode back to the wall and parked for festivities. Ended up in Harrisonburg VA for the night and back out Rte 33 through the moountains, eventually popping out at White Springs Va before coming home,

Great ride, I highly recommend everyone do it. I didn't serve but am appreciative of those who did. Thanks Vets for allowing me the freedom to ride.

Bubba:thumbsup:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
We really ought to set up a meet...those of us in the area can offer to guide y'all around some too...right delinquents?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, VTwinForum Meet and Greet - 2006 Rolling Thunder

Bring your State flag.

Seabrook

1 - 15 of 15 Posts