V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading from MD to SD,WY. Montana, Idaho,Utah & Colorado. This will be a 2900 mile loop not counting the Md to SD portion. I am trying to get weather info in general. Beartooth Pass and the Colorado Rockies Million Dollar Hwy. Independence Pass. What can I expect in general I know mother nature is very unpredictable. I know warm and layers.
Thanks All
Any other opinions on the area are welcome as well.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that it is a sweet ride I am very excited about it. I just don't want to be misinformed about anything. The weather is the biggest concern as we will be at 6000 plus feet elevation most of the trip many passes in Colorado above 10k.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
When in September? Makes all the difference. Early, like the first week or ten days, good chance that you'll not hit any major snowstorms, specifically, on the passes in Colorado, on Beartooth, and in Wyoming high country. Late in the month, like the last week or so, there's a pretty good chance you'll hit snow. In any case, at that time of year, to avoid snowy weather at elevation, you also need at least a little luck.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
September 3rd -12th north 1st then Colorado the 6th thru 10th. I thought that might be the case. I am packing as much luck as I can fit into all bags, cases, pockets, etc. If we should hit the dreaded white stuff do the roads clear or do you get stranded for a night. I know there is no way to predict for sure. I have a call in with Mother Nature but she has not yet returned my call. Would you recommend leaving a week earlier?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Rode beartooth in July of 2009 and saw snow up there granted on the side but it was really weird but still pretty cool. I rode there again this past late August and pretty much the same conditions.

Good thing in talking with the road crew they were planning to be finished with the repaving by this past summer so no more waiting!

Definitely ride Chief Joseph trail on way to Beartooth out of Cody grab gas before heading out as the nextbgas station is in Red Lodge atbthe end of Neartooth.

I would recommend staying in Cody eat at the Irma and catch the rodeo also.

This may help also
http://www.beartoothhighway.com/tripPlanning/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
September 3rd -12th north 1st then Colorado the 6th thru 10th. I thought that might be the case. I am packing as much luck as I can fit into all bags, cases, pockets, etc. If we should hit the dreaded white stuff do the roads clear or do you get stranded for a night. I know there is no way to predict for sure. I have a call in with Mother Nature but she has not yet returned my call. Would you recommend leaving a week earlier?
Thanks for the input.
Generally, that time of year, snows mainly at night, at the very highest elevations, and gets cleared away so you can go on it in a day or two.

Vast majority of years there is snow on top of Beartooth all year long. You can pretty much count on no new snow until September though. Same deal there though. Watch the weather before you head up any of the passes that time of year. If there is a chance of snow, it will be associated with a big low pressure system or some such. Those blow out of there in a day or two so you can usually time your trip accordingly.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input I am excited about this trip. Hell! I'm excited about all the trips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts