V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some new rocker covers today (black wrinkle texture to match engine), and the parts guy was trying to sell me the zinc hex flange bolts and chrome hot toppers for the covers instead of the chrome bolts. He was trying to tell me the chrome washers may affect the bolts when I torque them down????? This kinda lost me.....
Has anyone here ever had issues with the chrome bolts and washers on rocker covers (they are being torqued down to 15-18 ft-lbs)? Harley actually sells a chrome hardware kit for the rocker covers (94059-03).

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I would not use zinc on chrome. Chrome hardness is well suited to be torqued to specs and maintain it's tightness. If ever in doubt go back & recheck it periodically & youll find very little difference. Chrome fastners have been used for decades next to chrome fixtures or covers. To use zinc on chrome um um I wouldn't recommend it.

I dont know what breath mints your advisor was chewing at the time or what bag he was dippin into but he needs some experience in chemical tranfer.

Keep it chrome to chrome zinc to zinc

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not use zinc on chrome. Chrome hardness is well suited to be torqued to specs and maintain it's tightness. If ever in doubt go back & recheck it periodically & youll find very little difference. Chrome fastners have been used for decades next to chrome fixtures or covers. To use zinc on chrome um um I wouldn't recommend it.

I dont know what breath mints your advisor was chewing at the time or what bag he was dippin into but he needs some experience in chemical tranfer.

Keep it chrome to chrome zinc to zinc
Yea, I was gonna get the chrome bolts and chrome washers (they come together in the kit).... Didn't want the zinc bolts with hot toppers. I didn't think chrome bolts would be an issue with the rocker covers, used chrome bolts on the pulley with no troubles.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I call BS on the chrome bolts and washers. HD sells plenty of these kits. I'm not a fan of the hot toppers period. If you want the best possible then go with polished stainless. It looks as good as chrome but holds up better in the long run.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
I call BS on the chrome bolts and washers. HD sells plenty of these kits. I'm not a fan of the hot toppers period. If you want the best possible then go with polished stainless. It looks as good as chrome but holds up better in the long run.
stainless is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts