V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday was a beautiful day in So Cal for a Harley ride. Gunslinger, a Forum member, had suggested getting together for a ride to the Rock Store. Sounded like a great idea. He was trying to work out some logistics with some friends so the final arrangements were not made until Sunday morning. Some folks called Sunday and the next thing you know, there were 6 bikes on their way to the Rock Store. The Rock Store was a stagecoach stop a hundred years ago. Now, it's mostly a small restaurant only opened on weekends, with a heavy biker and custom car clientele. We took the "long way" there, winding through the narrow Box Canyon Rd. from Simi Valley back into the San Fernando Valley. 30+ years ago, the Manson Family resided in the Box Canyon area. Seeing the types of houses there today, successors to the Manson Family could still be living in Box Canyon! Then we road the Boulevard past the 1/2 million dollar homes on Valley Circle, across the 101 Freeway to the fabled Mulholland Highway. Yes, the Mulholland Hway, one of the finest stretches of biker pavement in the U.S. Took the pleasant curves of Mulholland the many miles up to the Rock Store, passing million dollar homes, and seeing unforgettable mountain views. Bikes were everywhere. The weather was warm. By the time we arrived, it was about 11 a.m.

Gunslinger estimated that there were 500 bikes at the Rock Store. Neither of us had every seen so many bikes there. While half the bikes were Harleys, there were bikes of every stripe and variety, and even a few trikes. The Rock Store is one of the premier biker haunts in the U.S. Has been seen in many movies and commercials. Hollywood celebs often hang-out there. Jay Leno is a frequent visitor. This weekend, the only celeb I recognized was Mickey Jones, the biker from Home Improvement. Mickey was ridin' a beautiful custom Indian. Gunslinger was to meet a bud at the Rock Store at 1 p.m., so the rest of us continued our adventure.

We followed Mulholland, up the hill, experiencing first-gear hairpins to high-speed sweepers, climbing, climbing. Distractions were everywhere: open skies, multi-million dollar homes, spectacular vistas, and bikes, bikes, bikes. Finally, we started down. Soon the blue Pacific came into sight. The Ocean filled the sky in the distance. We continued our descent and were soon riding on the famous P.C.H. and arrived at the combo biker/surfer, open-air bar called Neptune's Net. They serve fresh seafood with a direct view of the Pacific. Again, the place was packed--I'd never seen so many bikes there. Enjoyed a late lunch, and started our treak back. Taking a slightly difference course back, following PCH back to Malibu Canyon. Took Malibu Canyon over the mountain. Experienced its deep ravines and sharp peaks, and tunnels. Back past Mulholland and quick side trip by the Sagebrush Cantina, a yuppie place with good music and expensive drinks, and on back through Box Canyon and home.

A great day for a ride. A great day with friends. Got to meet a new friend, Gunslinger! And great day for an adventure. Seven hours after we started we were back home. Tired but happy. A wonderful day to be alilve.

If you weren't able to ride this weekend, I hope you'll be able to ride soon. And if ya' get out to So Cal, you gotta ride Mulholland and ya' gotta experience the Rock Store.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rock Store Redux

Gunslinger and I made it out to the Rock Store for a short jaunt today. The Rock Store is a favorite So Cal haunt, Indeed, it's a world famous biker spot. Occasionally, buses filled with Japanese tourists will drop by--just to photograph the bikers. Today, the weather was brisk and the sky was blue. The mountain road up and back provides a number of vistas allowing views of sites out in the distance, maybe 40-50 miles away. Pretty cool! Pleasant trip out, except for seeing some idiot behavior by other motorists. About 120-150 bikes were parked there today, lots of metric models. This is a large number for a Saturday. Maybe, bikers are out today since tomorrow is the Super Bowl? Hmmm. Anyway, as I was leaving a V-Rod pulled in. And a crowd started forming. Didn't stop to gawk myself. I've seen (and ridden) the V-Rod before. So I enjoyed my trip home.

Keep the Rock Store in mind as a "must see" if you are ridin' in So Cal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts