V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Roadking whines in 4th gear mostly when accelerating or decelerating and only in 4th gear. I am running HD SYN 3. Does anyone know if this is a problem or not?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2005 Roadking whines in 4th gear mostly when accelerating or decelerating and only in 4th gear. Does anyone know if this is a problem or not?

·
Fixxer of broken things
292 Posts
O5HOG said:
My 2005 Roadking whines in 4th gear mostly when accelerating or decelerating and only in 4th gear. I am running HD SYN 3. Does anyone know if this is a problem or not?
Dump the SYN3 out of the trans and put in a good quality syn.gear lube.There has been a lot of discussion about trans noise with syn3 in them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My '05 SEEG does the same thing in 4th and I have Amsoil 75-140 gear oil with some synthetic Lucas in there too. No difference, did increase my mileage tho....
Dealer told me they would have to look at the numbers on the transmission. something about the cut of that gear as they were transittioning to the new '06 heilical gear.
Don't know if I believe him or not. And don't know if it is worth having them monkey with it just yet. Yes it drives me nuts, but I'll wait till just before the warranty ends to check on it further.....at least I told them and it's on record.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I have the same sound on my 2003 Road King with 21.5K miles only in 4th gear. Running Syn3 in all 3 holes. Will most likely put something better in the tranny when I change it here real soon.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This topic was discussed here before. Seems quite a few of us had this whine in 4th gear. Seems to be more noticable on the newer bikes (ones with fewer miles). Have my '05 Glide up to 16K miles, and there is no more whine in 4th gear. Bothered the he11 out of me when I first got the bike, but not enough to take it back to get checked out. It whined for a few thousand miles, then it just seemed to go away. I've had no real problems with the trans so far.

darrell

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Mine does too in 4th, 05 Roadglide. More of a rubbing or a loud whirrrr. I'm running Redline. It did it with the orignal lube that came from the factory too.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Whine

The best way to cure that irritating whine is to order and install louder pipes!! See!!! Problem solved!! Man...I would be a great service tech!!:brows:

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
My bike (05 FLHTI) has always whined in 4th since day 1. However I recently replaced the syn3 in the tranny with Redline ShockProof Heavy. The whine is significantly reduced. I'd say it has almost dissappeared. 4th gear still has a different sound then the rest of the gears, but the high-pitched whine is gone.

The whine never really bothered me, but I guess the new oil is an improvement. Less metallic clunking while shifting too; it still clunks like the harley, but just doesn't clank. :)

-bluelab

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Add another one to the list 06 FLHTCI. Did it with the original tranny oil and does it with the Belray oil too though not as much. The 05 Road King Custom I had did not do it. Got a little over 2000 on it now. As long as it does not get any louder it will not go back to the dealer.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
chrt396 said:
The best way to cure that irritating whine is to order and install louder pipes!! See!!! Problem solved!! Man...I would be a great service tech!!:brows:
I have to agree ever since I put pipes on, no more annoying noises

·
Registered
59 Posts
bluelab said:
My bike (05 FLHTI) has always whined in 4th since day 1. However I recently replaced the syn3 in the tranny with Redline ShockProof Heavy. The whine is significantly reduced. I'd say it has almost dissappeared. 4th gear still has a different sound then the rest of the gears, but the high-pitched whine is gone.

The whine never really bothered me, but I guess the new oil is an improvement. Less metallic clunking while shifting too; it still clunks like the harley, but just doesn't clank. :)

-bluelab
I did exactly the same to a '04 FLHRCI with the same results. I think all of the gears sound a little different from one another, but fourth has always whined the worst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts