V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Roadking Classic the pulls to the left, into on coming traffic. I can correct the pull by leaning to the right but shouldn’t it go straight with out leaning? I have tried taking everything out of the saddlebags to balance out the bike and it still does it. It has done this scents day one. Does any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2005 Roadking Classic the pulls to the left, into on coming traffic. I can correct the pull by leaning to the right but shouldn’t it go straight with out leaning? I have tried taking everything out of the saddlebags to balance out the bike and it still does it. Does any one have any ideas?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Yeah, take it back to the dealer for a vehicle alignment. They have cool fixtures to do it, and since it's under warranty, it won't cost you a dime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2006 Road King Standard. If I don't hold the handlebars it pulls to the left quite readily, but when I hold onto the handlebars I don't notice it. I imagine it is the weight of the primary on the left hand side. There has also been talk about the alignment of the front and back wheels. Do a search on this forum and you will finda at least a couple of threads about this problem. Like I mentioned I don't notice having to correct the steering when I have my hands or hand on the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sumthings wrong

Like Mega sez, take it back to the dealer. I haven't seen the 'cool fixtures' but it's gotta beat the bent welding rod routine. I can ride my sporty (Heywood Jablomee) for miles and miles with no hands. (quick detach compact windsheild and mustang backrest). On T.Bagger ('03 Ultra) if'n I go a mile with no hands, it's a challange. The rake of the forks isn't as drastic on T, but he feels sorta squirrely at times. My rear tire has 13,000 miles but that's getting remedied today (11-3-05). Like you guys, I suspect it's uneven balance of all the sh*t that I carry all the time. I did remove the fire-wood tho........

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I had my bike drifting to the left before I had my tires changed. what you have is the rear tire needs to be aligned. if it's not it'll act like a highlow which uses it's rear tire to turn. there's a point on either side of your bike to measure to from the center of your axle, if it's off, it turns.

good luck and ride straight.

·
Ride it like a RENTAL
75 Posts
Had the same thing...Took it to the dealer at 1k, and 5k visit, said it was fine, got the "repack your saddlebags" talk...then brought it in again, and had the service manager take it for a ride...the next week it was in for the day for an "engine alignment"....found some spacer missing from the factory....still a little pull to left...but MUCH better...no cost....WILDBILL05

·
Registered
413 Posts
05HOG, let us know if your dealer actually fixes your problem and what they claim to have been the issue. I’ve owned two FLH models with this problem and the obvious alignment checks wouldn’t solve it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
road king pull

I have a 2006 FLHR that also pulls to the left when you let go of the bars. I guess they all probably do because of the way the clutch cable rubs against the crash bar forcing the bars to the right. Try unbolting your crash bar and I bet it stops pulling.

JIM

·
A Bit Off Center
31 Posts
I'm wondering if it's due to the drive belt and primary on the same side. My RK Custom does the same thing. I've gotten used to it and no issues to mention. I have pretty much given up on dealership service work.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
My bet is the wheel alignment is OOT. You can check it and align it with two 8' flourescent tubes and some rubber bands. It's quite simple.

·
Math HD
17 Posts
I've had this problem since the bike was new ('04 RK Classic). Dealer checked alignment at 1000 miles. Said it was out of alignment. They re-aligned the chassis and it still pulled left. Took it back and they said it was the clutch cable pushing against the left engine guard. Went to a hydraulic clutch (which is great) but bike still pulls left. Took bike to GMD Computrack in Jacksonville Fl. They said it was within factory spec but still out by their standard. They aligned to "their" standard. Bike still pulls left but not as much. The trip to Computrack did eliminate the "bagger boogie" I had on long sweepers at 70mph or above but didn't get rid of the left pull. I dunno... The bike has about 17k miles now and I love everthing about it except the left pull. The idea that the primary is on the left somehow contributes is BS. My buddys 03 RK Classic tracks straight as an arrow. Beyond that, the idea that the MOCO would design something with an inherent left turning tendency just doesn't wash. I did find a reference in the service manual about "Vehicle leads that require more than 2-lbs pull to correct need further diagnosis". I have not tried a fish-scale on my bike but I am certain the force required to correct my left pull is far less than 2 lbs. WTF... I guess you try everything you can then you just ride the @#$% out of it.

Keep Smilin' and Enjoy the Ride...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts