V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the leather Road King saddlebags on a Heritage or Fatboy? If so how did you do it and what was needed. I thought there was a link on here showing how someone once did it. If you have some pictures that'll be great too. Thanks in advance. :cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
Here's a couple places with brackets you can buy:

www.cyclevisions.com/bagger-tail.html

www.mckayscyclecreations.com (click products and scroll to softail saddlebag mounting hardware kit)

http://www.paddedwall.org/home/main_flstc_hardbags.php
This guy has a do it yourself type instruction set...


Oh yeah, here's another option i'm considering:
http://www.tsukayu.com/products.htm
These guys have a "Patrol" model that looks just like the older style bags, and it's $499 for the bags and the mounts... the bags measure out pretty close to my buddy's e-glide.

Good Luck!
 

·
Recon
Joined
·
839 Posts
mcsnitz said:
Has anyone installed the leather Road King saddlebags on a Heritage or Fatboy? If so how did you do it and what was needed. I thought there was a link on here showing how someone once did it. If you have some pictures that'll be great too. Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Iwas going to go that route, then I found out about BB reproductions!
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Looh up Vafatboy...he has on his...they look great!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
Hey Vafatboy,

Any chance I could bribe you to take a couple picks of your mounting setup? I think I have an idea what you did but it's hard to see for sure in the pics you have. I've been wanting to do this to my Heritage (I hate the studs) but the aftermarket brackets are $350 (won't work with detachable backrest) and $399 (the bags seem to sit too low and it looks funny to me).

The cost of these aftermarket deals are crazy....
 

·
Delinquent
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
-shade- said:
Hey Vafatboy,

Any chance I could bribe you to take a couple picks of your mounting setup? I think I have an idea what you did but it's hard to see for sure in the pics you have. I've been wanting to do this to my Heritage (I hate the studs) but the aftermarket brackets are $350 (won't work with detachable backrest) and $399 (the bags seem to sit too low and it looks funny to me).

The cost of these aftermarket deals are crazy....
No problem,

I will need a couple of days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Guys I was at my local dealer last week and they had a Heritage with a set of Road King bags on it. Here is their web address www.ozarkharley-davidson.com I didn't see a email address but did notice a phone number. Darrell is the sales mgr and he could probably get you the part #'s used. Hope this helps. Joe
 

·
Delinquent
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
RKJ said:
Guys I was at my local dealer last week and they had a Heritage with a set of Road King bags on it. Here is their web address www.ozarkharley-davidson.com I didn't see a email address but did notice a phone number. Darrell is the sales mgr and he could probably get you the part #'s used. Hope this helps. Joe

I did a lot of research for this one and I couldn't find anything HD that would get this done. There were some aftermarket items that would get it done, but I'm a if I can't see it, lay my hands on it, I'm not buying it kinda guy.


And with the aftermarket stuff I couldn't tell what would work with the HD detatchable backrest hardware.

So I made it, which was pretty easy and once I had all the materials together only took about 4 hours, that included rewelding a taller bracket up so I could get the bags lower. Should have taken photo's while doing it, but I was heading out on the bike for several day's and needed some bags on quick. And the best part is, it was inexpensive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
Hey VA... How do you like the Andrews cam? I've heard the 37b was a great low end torque cam that would even be good without going to 95".
 

·
Delinquent
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
-shade- said:
Hey VA... How do you like the Andrews cam? I've heard the 37b was a great low end torque cam that would even be good without going to 95".
I do like it. I need to do some head work and up the compression a bit to get all it has to offer.

Right now I hit around 80 tq. @ 2000 rpm and peak at around 94 as I recall.

With work I should get closer to 100/100.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's response; I knew y'all would come through. As always there is a lot of great advice here. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and may all of y'all have a great New Year loaded with lots of safe riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I've seen it done. Looked pretty good. The guy made his own brackets.

-shade- said:
Here's a couple places with brackets you can buy:

www.cyclevisions.com/bagger-tail.html

www.mckayscyclecreations.com (click products and scroll to softail saddlebag mounting hardware kit)

http://www.paddedwall.org/home/main_flstc_hardbags.php
This guy has a do it yourself type instruction set...


Oh yeah, here's another option i'm considering:
http://www.tsukayu.com/products.htm
These guys have a "Patrol" model that looks just like the older style bags, and it's $499 for the bags and the mounts... the bags measure out pretty close to my buddy's e-glide.

Good Luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
Well.... I went to the dark side. Two nights ago I took the Heritage in and traded it for a Street Glide. Once I added up the costs of adding a fairing, hard bags and paint (the whole bike) I realized I was better off just cutting my losses and get the damn bike I wanted.

The SG is friggin sweet... I won't be looking back.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top