V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my RoadKing 2003 for about 2 months and love everything about it. Sounds great idling, but I want a louder rumble when riding.

Any recommendations on the Harley Pipes and/or upgrades to keep bike in warranty and give me the desired sound?

Thanks.

Kevin V.
Raleigh, NC.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Kevin, I have an '03 classic on order, and am putting the screaming eagles on it. I put them on my heritage and the sound is perfect for my tastes (ears?) - nice throaty rumble, lots of noise when you want it if somebody's getting a little too close, doesn't wake up the neighbourhood if you're careful - and the new ones apparently won't blue. Guess it's all personal in the end - but that's my 2 cents.
BigG

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have S.E. slipons and they sound just as BigG says. My neighbors don't get pi$$ed and yet they still wake up the blue hair with a cell phone glued to her ear when I twist the throttle. Since the MoCo sells them they will be covered by warranty if installed prior to delivery.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
valentkw said:
Sounds great idling, but I want a louder rumble when riding.

OK first things first. Welcome to The Forum!

"Sounds great idling" is Crap.

I have the SE's and love em. The Sampsons, as mentioned above are also cool but will not preform as well. IMHO

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yet another opinion

I have had the SE IIs on my 2002 RKC for 6 months. I was originally happy with the sound volume, but now I'm looking for something louder and deeper. The SE IIs do perform well and don't seem to cause any warrenty problems though.

I have been following all the threads on this issue and have yet to see the definative answer on which pipes are the loudest and deepest but still provide enough back pressure for the EFI bikes. Drag pipes are not an option. Right now I'm leaning toward either the V&Hs or the Sampson Rolled Thunder slip ons.

Sorry to confuse the issue, but I thought you should know.

·
---
201 Posts
Have 2002 RK with Vance Hines slipons. Great sound and looks. If not loud enough for you the baffles are easily removed.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had the SE slip ons on my 02 efi king. Switched to the bassini's. Runs great, about same noise volume, much deeper sound (maybe due to the 4" diameter?.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
PIPES THAT SOUND GOOD AND OFFER GREAT PERFORMANCE ARE THUNDERHEADER SLIPONS. THEY SOUND GOOD IDLEING OR AT CRUISING SPEEDS, BUT WHEN YOU PULL THE WICK TIGHT THEY WILL BARK.:eek:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
wurkenman said:
PIPES THAT SOUND GOOD AND OFFER GREAT PERFORMANCE ARE THUNDERHEADER SLIPONS. THEY SOUND GOOD IDLEING OR AT CRUISING SPEEDS, BUT WHEN YOU RELLY PULL THE WICK TIGHT THEY WILL BARK.
Hey wurkenman, how 'bout a few pics of your bike? ...some arse shot would be interesting, looks like you got some custom work on the bags and fender?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I THINK I KIND OF GOT THIS PICTURE THING FIGURED OUT. PUT SOME UP TODAY.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought an '03 road king and want to install the Thunderheader slip on's. Is there anything else that I need to get for this setup? Someone mentioned that I would need a breather kit as well.......ok guys.......this is a girl talkin' here. I need you help..any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
THUDER SLIP ONS WILL WORK JUST FINE ALONE. THEY STILL PROVIDE SOME BACK PRESSURE BUT THE WAY THEY ARE DESIGNED THEY GREATLY REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF ECHO THAT TRAVELS BACK UP THE PIPE. A BETTER FLOWING BREATHER WILL HELP YOUR THROTTLE RESPONSE BUT IS NOT NECESSARY. IT WILL COME WITH TIME ANYWAY ONCE YOU START THE CUSTOMIZING THING.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Re: RoadKing 2003 - Louder Pipes

JimmyK said:

OK first things first. Welcome to The Forum!

"Sounds great idling" is Crap.

I have the SE's and love em. The Sampsons, as mentioned above are also cool but will not preform as well. IMHO
Have the SAMSON Slash Cut Silver Bullet Slip-Ons...sounds great and runs great. No problems. No complaints. '03 FLHRCI

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a great read on the www.speedtv.com site. Its there Night Train performance bike review. Part 4, which was on TV last night compared some 80 different pipe combinations. Its worth the read.

I personally have an 02 Electra Glide with V&H Turndowns, baffle wrap removed. I like loud pipes and the performance is right for me.

If I had the chance and the money to do it again, I think I'd go Bassani.

Rob

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm going to pick up my FLHR, carbureted, 03 R.K. Saturday. Will do
break-in mileage with stock exhaust. I would like to find pipes that
give off a low throaty, almost gurgle rather than loudness. Don't get me
wrong, I need some loudness for sure. More than the stock pipes but, I
guess I want what they call the "hollywood" sound. Does anyone
remember that description of exhaust sound. Probably pertains more to
car exhausts than bikes. Well anyway, that's what I'd like to eventually
find and install. :)