V-Twin Forum banner

Roadglide headlight cover

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  RG50 
#1 ·
Guys, I've got a question regarding my 06 RG headlight cover, a few months ago the OEM headlight cover broke off all but 1 of the tabs and fell off while I was riding, the local HD dealer replaced it under warranty, as I had never screwed with it or taken it off, well I walk outside this morning and find that the right 2 tabs have broken off again, and the over is just dangling in the air held on by the left 2 tabs...

Call the local dealer and tell them it's broke again, they are acting like this is the first they ever heard of one breaking....Other than the first event with the OEM one on my RG....

Is this something normal with a RG or is my fairing causing something weird with my headlight cover????

And NO I'm not popping any wheelies or doing any stoppies!!!! :nunu:

#2 ·
joeschmoe said:
Call the local dealer and tell them it's broke again, they are acting like this is the first they ever heard of one breaking....Other than the first event with the OEM one on my RG....

dealer is probably not used to customers who actually ride their bikes... judging from the map in your sig, you ride yours...

sorry, do not have a RG so can't answer your question...

#5 ·
joeschmoe

:yawn: I have a 2005 RG with 30,000 miles on it. I have removed the headlight cover several times to clean it. It still has all 4 tabs in tact. I am wondering what tool(s) the tech used to install the new cover on your RG with? Could it be, that an inexperienced tech incorrectly installed the new headlight cover and fractured two of the tabs while doing so? Unless you actually watched them install the headlight cover, you will never know. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I am.. hahahaha.. dealers, are welp, dealers. Why do you think they call them stealer's?:xhere:

#6 ·
This might be one of those things that you will have to strengthen by yourself. I don't know how they are made, or even what they are made of, but there is always a way to make something stronger.

Look at the fixes on the tourpaks, the backrest, etc. HD is going to make or contract the cheapest way.

#8 ·
Roadie said:
:yawn: I have a 2005 RG with 30,000 miles on it. I have removed the headlight cover several times to clean it. It still has all 4 tabs in tact. I am wondering what tool(s) the tech used to install the new cover on your RG with? Could it be, that an inexperienced tech incorrectly installed the new headlight cover and fractured two of the tabs while doing so? Unless you actually watched them install the headlight cover, you will never know. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I am.. hahahaha.. dealers, are welp, dealers. Why do you think they call them stealer's?:xhere:
I saw how they did the install on the first replacement one, the servie writer got it out of the parts area came over took the tape off the OEM one, took the OEM off, then lined up the 4 tabs and POW!!! shoved the NEW cover on!!! No tools, nothing but elbow grease.....+SMSH+

#9 ·
PR3VS56 said:
I can't imagine. Maybe someone's messing with you bike -- you say it's parked outside?
Yes I park outside when at work but it's Federal property where i work and unde rclose watch by security force.{salute(

Doubt anybody would f#@k with it here!

#10 ·
joeschmoe said:
I saw how they did the install on the first replacement one, the servie writer got it out of the parts area came over took the tape off the OEM one, took the OEM off, then lined up the 4 tabs and POW!!! shoved the NEW cover on!!! No tools, nothing but elbow grease.....+SMSH+
Mine will not go on properly unless I snap the bottom tabs in first as the service manual recommends.

#15 ·
Knock wood my 04 is still good.

I've removed mine a bunch of times to clean and wax it.

I use a popsicle stick to push the top tabs down, pull up and out.
Its not as harsh on the paint as a screw driver or knife is (although you could always put a rag around the blade)

#19 ·
You don't need no stinkin butter knife. I've had mine off once a month for the last two years and all you need to do is pull up and out on the bottom and pop it out, and pull the top two down and away from the fairing and all is well. Don't be scared, nothing will break.
Gary D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.