V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have not been been on the site, or at least posted for some time.
I am in the midst of preparing for a road trip from Dallas TX to the Smoky Mountains. My destination is the "Tail of the Dragon", and from there some of the other great roads in the area. From what i can see there are a lot of great roads to ride in that part of the world, this will be my one good ride for the year. I plan to go from Dallas to Natchez Mississippi and up the Natchez Trace, it is 440+ miles of (so i am told) great riding. At Tupelo i will cut across to Deals Gap. I have a room booked at one of two different motorcycle hotels for four nights, so i can explore the mountains. My ride back is not yet defined, i will work that out during my travels. I am leaving on Saturday 29th and will get back the following Saturday, i think that is the 6th.
At this point i will be travel there on my own, i am sure i will meet a few other bikes on the way or once i get there. I am in two different hotels as the first one i book only had rooms for two of the four nights.
Not sure what the weather will be like, i expect it to be pretty cool at night and mornings, so am packing accordingly.

I am looking forward to the trip, i was going to Sturgis this year, but unfortunately something come up and i could not attend.

Anyway, thought i would share a little. Any insight from fellow riders is always appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.

Here is a link of a trip i did with my daughter to Sturgis in 2005.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Phil​

·
Riding With The Son
204 Posts
Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Lots of great riding in the area, and you might want to consider the Cherohala Skyway (very near the Tail of the Dragon). Also, on the north side of the Dragon, there is the Foothills Parkway that will take you to Townsend, TN which is a good gateway to the Smoky Mountains National Park where there is lots of great riding. If you have the opportunity, try to ride the Dragon on a weekday because it gets very crowded on weekends.

·
PUB
201 Posts
If you have time, check out Devils Triangle. It's west of Knoxville and also known as the prison run. Heard it's less traveled then the others and very nice. I'll be there next week.

Hud

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I recommend Highway 64 across TN and into NC. You can hit it by staying on the Trace north of Tupelo or maybe consider it for the ride back. Great mountain views and not too heavily traveled.

In Natchez lunch at Fat Mama's Tamales was a lot of fun.

Check out the Natchez Trace thread in the Riding Stories section.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Road Trip to the Smokey Mountains

Thanks for the info.
I will be arriving on the Monday night so will only be riding during the week, should make for some enjoyable riding, a little less traffic.

I hope to have many pics, i will post some once i get back.

My route from Tupelo to Deals Gap and back out will be along route 64, good to hear that is also some good riding. I am excited and can't wait to get on the road.

This is my one vacation for the year, so plan to make the most of it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
You can't get on 64 @ Tupelo. You will need to stay on the "Trace" another 80-90 miles and pick up 64 between Waynesboro and Lawrenceburg, Tn. Great riding.

The trace is 440 miles of no trucks, no stop signs, no stop lights, and no filling stations so plan on getting off the trace every 2-3 hours. Also, they are very picky about the speed limit. Anything over 5 mph over the speed limit and you will probably get stopped. The Nat'l Park police hide everywhere!!

Bwana01

1 - 9 of 9 Posts