V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I'm planning on taking a 10 day trip this summer on my 06 RK Custom and thinking about a month long ride through europe next year. I've been looking through all the post here but looking for more specific suggestions. I'll be riding solo so here's the question.

I'm looking for suggestions on the best combo setup of seat, rack, backrest, sissybar, bags, etc. for my bike. For the seat I still have the stock one but looking for something that moves me up about an 1" and keeps me at the same height or lower. I want to be able to carry a fair amount of stuff too including my laptop and SLR camera gear.

Hal
06 Road King Custom
Yellow Pearl
Wild One 518 Bars
SE Stage 1 Air Intake
SE Race Exhaust

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Sounds like ya going to take everything but the kitchen sink. Humm.... I'm not trying to be smart here, cause I like to take the camera, laptop and even a nice chair to relax in while I smoke my cigar in the evening after a long days ride.

There is only one answer if your an old goat like me. I LIKE TO BE COMFORTABLE...So installed a tour pak and I pull a Bushtec trailer that has just about everything I ever need on a long trip including a portable bar! Plus everything is real handy to get to. If I want to camp the night I can, or hit the motel, I can do that also..especially if ya got in one of those all day rain events.

If trailer is out of the question, then I'd suggest a solo Corbin seat with back rest that sets you up about an inch closer upon the tank and then add a tour pak, the one that would set just behind the set normally where the any passenger would sit. I've got this on my RK and works just fine for most trips and can be locked up with the camera, laptop and favorite cigar.
Flatline

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I did a cross country trip last May/June. I used the HD sissy bar with luggage rack that attaches to it. Corbin does not make a close classic solo for the Custom, but if you order the seat directly from them, they will make up a custom solo for you. You just tell them what you want, they will add/remove padding.

I also used "SAC" HD luggage. it worked really well. I later found out that you are better off getting it directly through SAC, because the material is better and they include a heavy duty cargo net, with certain model bags. http://www.coolsac.com/

I was away for weeks and lugged camping equipment too. I bought a big duffel bag to load the camping equipment in, then put it on the luggage rack.

·
Just Do It!
122 Posts
Found the following a must for long distance on my Custom.

Corbin Dual Touring Seat
Harley Detachable Rack w/Corbin Pad
Detachable Shield
XM Radio
Luggage with Roll Bag
Cruise Control

Found all of these items to make the difference in riding bell to bell. While some say the Corbin can be hard - it fits like a glove, moved me back 1-2 inches, and the passenger seat is a must for the wife.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've been on two long trips on my '02 Road King Classic. Atlanta to Milwaukee in 2003 and Atlanta to Sturgis last year. I'd suggest the following things to consider before touring on your Road King.

Comfortable Seat with rider backrest. I have a Mustang with HD rider back rest

Luggage Rack

T-bag type bag for the rack. I have a Kuryakyn Full Dresser. It holds more than enough. Plus saddlebag liners so you can take your stuff out with ease.

Tunes! I use my iPod with Shure E2C headphones. The headphones have the same type of foam like earplugs. They eliminate the wind noise and the music helps make the time go by.

Highway pegs

GPS: I use a Garmin 2610. Going to Sturgis last year it was awesome knowing exactly where all of the gas stations were and what was available on all of the exits. I replaced one of the windshield screws with a Ram-mount ball and use the 1-3/4" arm attached to a Garmin motorcycle mount. I use a quick connect similar to a battery tender.

Cruise control is a must. Be the best $300 you ever spent

View attachment 29783

View attachment 29782

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I have an '04 Custom and in '04 I took a solo trip to Canada. Everyday after about 3-400 miles the stock seat was really bothering me but the next day it was fine again for 3-400 miles. Last year I took another solo trip to TN and the stock seat never bothered me one bit. Everyone complains about stock seats but I think the just take longer to break in. There's 35,000 miles on mine now and I think it's as comfortable as any aftermarket could ever be because all those miles were with my boney butt.

As for gear I use a good size hiking bag just straped to the seat behind me and the saddlebags. This is with all clothes and camping gear and other stuff. I've been camping for my whole life so I've found gear that packs really small, there's more and more of this out there today. You just have to pack smart. You don't need 5 pairs of sock and 5 pairs of shorts and 5 shirts and 5 pairs of pants for 5 days. Just wash stuff and let it dry at night.

Also, forget te windshield. I used one in Canada and regreted it everyday. It takes away from the experience IMO. You'll find yourself getting more used to not having one everyday. At least I did. I can go all day without one and find it a lot more fun to actaully be in the wind but I do wear a 3/4 helmet to keep the wind out of my ears. I even wear ear plugs at times.

Just don't think too much about it. Bring the esentials and GO!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Garmin 2610 GPS Mount

2smoooth said:
Can you provide any more information on the GPS setup? Sounds like the way to go..
I highly recommend the Garmin 2610. For less than $700, you can have a GPS unit that will take you anywhere in the US (some Canada) or Europe. It is a proven product for motorcyclelists. There isn't anything you're left "wanting" for. Tom-Tom has a new gps for motorcycles but its pretty $$$$$$ and being "new", I wouldn't be ready to go there. I can also pop the Garmin off of my bike and put it in the car. Added to that, Garmin has been in the public use GPS business longer than anyone. For information on ALL brands of GPS units, research by going to http://www.gpsinformation.net. For the best prices on Garmin GPS units, go to http://www.gpsnow.com.

Mounting the Garmin 2610 on my Road King.

You will need the following items: (I got my ram-mount stuff from cyclegadgets.com)

# RAM-SOCKET $11.00
View attachment 29790

# RAM-STD $10.50
View attachment 29791

# RAM-SHORTARM (1-3/4") $11.00
View attachment 29795

Garmin Motorcycle Mount $34.99 (Amazon.com)
View attachment 29793

Universal Battery Tender type connector - any auto parts store should have this.

Mounting Instructions

1. Remove windshield screw
2. Attach "RAM-SOCKET" with a 10-24 stainless machine screw (use blue locktite)
3. Attach "RAM-STD" to the Garmin motorcycle mount using the 4 screws that come in the kit. Cut off the excess bolts with a hacksaw.
4. Mount the GPS to the windshield with the wiring kit attached. Figure out how long this cable needs to reach the connection point. I have the plug end sticking out by the handlebar cover. You can't even notice it when the gps or windshield is removed.
5. Cut the wiring kit and attach the quick connect plug end. I soldered mine and used shrink wrap. On the GPS side of the wiring kit I made the MALE end the Positive. That way the FEMALE quick connect plug on the on the bike side is Positive preventing a short when its not connected.
6. Attach the other quick connect plug end to the other side of the wiring kit.
7. Remove the headlight
8. Attach the other end of the wiring kit (and fuse) to switched power and a ground. There are two loose wires (orange/white strip(+) and black(-)) with female spade connectors under the nacelle. The manual says these wires are for the HDI POS light. I crimped male spade connectors on the wiring kit and plugged it into the factory harness. I used shrink wrap around the connectors to prevent them from coming apart.
9. Feed the end of the plug through the left side of the handlebar cover. Tie wrap the wire to the handlebar riser.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Everyone complains about stock seats but I think the just take longer to break in.

Also, forget te windshield. I used one in Canada and regreted it everyday.
Let me get this straight, you are recommending long distance touring on a stock seat & no windshield???????????????????????

I have an 04 RK Custom & I can't say I agree with you at all, but I respect your opinion.

~John

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
GPS?
Whatever happened to ...side of the road, pull out the map!
Wife bought me one last year. 2nd day, took it back to CT, traded for a fly rod.
To each their own, I guess!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Let me get this straight, you are recommending long distance touring on a stock seat & no windshield???????????????????????

I have an 04 RK Custom & I can't say I agree with you at all, but I respect your opinion.

~John
Personally, I couldn't stand my RK Classic stock seat. The Mustang is awesome. But then again, my buddy rode his Texas Chopper from Atlanta to Sturgis to Atlanta. Have you ever seen one of those seats? I guess there are degrees of being comfortable. My only complaint about the Mustang is that it moves me forward too far.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Tools-Electrical tape, wire, plyers, multi screwdriver, adj wrench, fuses, depending on your wheels, spare tube.
Bags- Your choice. I've gone to hell and back with the big Sac's. Work good. Need a rack if you got a passenger
Stock seat works for me, also use a sheepskin. Might look odd, nothing touches it for all day ridin comfort.

...just adding to my post count! :)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
SPOJO said:
Stock seat and no shield??? What a dude! Can't say I could do that:whatever:

Hey, we're humans, we're adaptable. You just have to give yourself a chance. You might be surprised what becomes comfortable after some time.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I don't like a windshield, when I rode cross country from NYC to Cali, I had no windshield. I like riding w/o it. But I lucked out and didn't hit much rain. When it rains, that is when you miss not having one. I also have plenty of paint chips in the tank, I think a windshield might have prevented that. I put the SAC luggage on the p pad and that was my back rest. The longest time I spent in the saddle was from Cali to Utah, over 750 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
jmorton10 said:

~John

When I choose to ride somewhere its't usually because I want to ride around the area. I.E. last year I rode to TN JUST to ride the Tail of the Dragon and the other fantastic roads in the area and I didn't want to ride around with a windshield when I got there. I don't know where I would have stashed it when I got there so I left it home. I would have been pretty pisssed if I had to experience those roads with it. My neck was a little sore after the first day but the second it didn't bother me at all.

As for the seat, it's really the same as most any other seat but it takes longer to break in. Mine fits me perfectly now and I saved myself $ not getting a new one. I don't think people give them long enough to break in.

But then again I've always been a glutten for punishment!=devil=

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Luggage rack or tour pak. I have hard bags with lid rails and also strap to hose. You can strap to the top of your bags too.

I vote for windsheild. Personally I wouldn't have a custom. But everyone has there preference. With FLHR I can take it off when I want. But for rain and cold it can't be beat, well except by a fairing.

Its real fun getting caught in the rain without a windsheild or helmet, especialy at night. Even better 40 degrees out.

I like seat where the back seat comes forward and cradles you. Thinking abut getting backrest. Riding solo I would strap something to passenger seat to lean against.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
In case anybody gets the wrong impression, I can tough it out as well as anybody without a windshield -I rode a rigid frame shovel with no WS for 25 years(I rode it straight through from upstate NY to the Outer Banks of N.C. once)but I still prefer my WS & Corbin seat W/rider BR for long rides nowdays.

~John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone. Lot's a really good info in the replies.

I need to change my seat out because I'm getting fatigued with the current reach. Need to move up about an inch. I'll probably go with the Corbin solo and backrest.

I have a really nice camera/laptop backpack that can hold all that gear. I can probably strap this down to either a sissybar or rack. After looking at the different bags I'm think of getting the sac and cool sac for my clothes.

What sissybar and rack combinations should I look at to go with the Corbin setup?

Figure my saddle bags will hold riding stuff, my tools and spare parts.

Got the detachable windshield.

Highway pegs will be on next week.

Ipod Nano ready to go.

Definitely will have to look at the GPS for my Euro tour.

Ideas on which bike-to-bike communicator? I wear a full face (old racer and just use to wearing one what can I say) I may switch to a 3/4 for the ride though.

I'm also thinking of adding a helmet cam(s). Anyone here played with them?

BTW anyone headed to CLUB H.O.G. Wild West: 23rd Annual Rally in Billings?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts