V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving the truck around yesterday and noticed the secondary roads here were white with salt residue. This is my first experience with winter weather and riding. I noticed clouds of this salt residue being stirred up by the traffic.

I had planned on some winter riding when the weather permitted and just clean the bike well but now I'm wondering if these clouds of salt could possibly affect internal parts of the bike? Is it possible for the salt to get sucked in thru the air cleaner?

The amount of salt used seems to vary from county to county and state to state. Would appreciate any input from those of you that also have to deal with this road problem. Are my concerns justified? Do you just put your bikes up for the winter until a good Spring rain?

·
Registered
380 Posts
let me tell you here in Wi. they put plenty of salt down, i do not want any of that salt on my bike. it get's into every thing, and it mixes with the water on them roads and get's into clutch cables and everywhere. and rust grows, i love to ride also but the last thing i need is a rusty DYNA. i have a rusty truck and car. stay out of it.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
otterbob said:
hey i know what yer talking about. this is my first year riding and i aint chancing it either. where you at in ny?
Just a few miles south of Syracuse.

G

·
Ride it every chance you get, clean it, maintain it, fix it if it breaks, buy another if you find one you like better. We're supposed to have fun on the [email protected] things, not to babysit them ... :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm with you Boismier. I'm in CT and there's plenty of salt here. It's the worst just after black ice and or snow days. If you wait a couple days for the sand to be pushed or washed off the middle of the road then yer go to go. Clean yer ride in a major way. Then put on a good coat of wax. Then ride, ride, ride that fuken thang. When you get home rinse it off and blow dry with leaf blower. Good as new. I have a new pair of shoe's that I wont wear because I'll get the bottoms dirty. Doesn't make much sence, does it? If yer like me and love ta ride, a little dirt and or salt should not slow you down. And if you’re really like me, you’ll carry a flask full of Tequila and when a cage in front pumps up a cloud of salt (most likely it's sand) open yer mouth then do a shot. I'm good like that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
One of D.O.T.'s not-so-well kept secrets is that they use much more salt and sand than is really needed in order to maitain an area in their budget that can be padded for "discretionary use" if needed.........your tax dollars at work (not).

·
Registered
679 Posts
[ you’ll carry a flask full of Tequila
What does the tequila do while you are riding?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Salt = Bad for Bike

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Aw c'mon! Ride thefuckinthing and stop worrying about it!:D

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you plan on trading your bike in for a new one in 5-10 years ride it and enjoy it. However, if your like me and are picking the coins out of the couch to pay for it (not getting another new one anytime soon) then I would store it. Salt is some nasty crap. I don't think it would affect anything internally, but if you wanna keep your ride looking good I would keep it out of the salt. My 442 and my Deuce stay in the garage from the day they first salt the roads until the first good spring rain. Yeah, it sucks to keep 2 beutiful fun vehicles tucked away for 4 months, but I plan on keeping them for a long time. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
streetrod said:
One of D.O.T.'s not-so-well kept secrets is that they use much more salt and sand than is really needed in order to maitain an area in their budget that can be padded for "discretionary use" if needed.........your tax dollars at work (not).
Maybe in your AO but here in my region I personally train the operators on proactive anti-icing procedures and calibrate the automated spreader controls to be accurate within four pounds per lane mile. Sand is seldom used by our dept. unless we have to put the road to bed in sub zero temps when nothing else works since salt becomes innaffective at temps. below 17 deg. F.

Our normal application rate in a normal snow event is 225 lbs. per lane mile for the first run, followed up with successive runs at 115 lbs. per lane mile. If you think about it, that's not alot of salt compared to the area covered.

I can't speak for townships and municipalities since they conduct business differently than we do.

BTW, all my toys stay off the roads until the spring rains wash the roads clean just the same.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I will not ride after the salt gets laid down, funny there is a guy at work with a 550 honda with over 100k on it he rides it year round almost every day 25 miles one way, the bike is ratty but runs like a top I think he is one of those guys who changes the oil every year if it needs it or not. Another guy at work puts used oil in his yamaha lol. I would like to have a rat bike I could just abuse it.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Mustang, I'll have to side with the store it crowd. My bike is ready to ride when the weather is, in the meantime there are other ways to enjoy the outdoors. You live right down the road from some good skiing, you can get a rental and day pass for about 20 bucks. Or pick up a cheap snowmobile and enjoy all the great trails up in the hills that way. Hey, if you don't care about the bike, and can't live without a ride, go for it. I think you just need to adjust to the change from New Mexico.

Supersport, I always wonder about that terminology "upstate ny." Unless you're a New Yorker, and sometimes if you are, everyone assumes that it means North of Orange County (NYC to us) I'm guessing you mean North of Syracuse, as in Plattsburg? Oggdensburg?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts