V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you V rodders that have experienced the buffeting while riding in heavy traffic, get your steering head bearings adjusted. What a difference! The ride is much improved. While riding on the Interstate is not always fun, at least now it can be done in confidence.

I had the dealer do it while my Vrod was in for the 5000 mile service. They handled it under warranty.

They also fixed my rubbing rear sprocket (ordered a new one under warranty). It would rub when riding two up and loaded only. Took the upper guard off and bent it out a bit where it attached to the swing arm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Steering Head Bearings

Jeff:

Can you explain a little more?? What exactly did they do and to what level of adjustment?

How does this adjustment affect the feeling of unstability when you're on the highway being blown around?

-Dipper

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dipper

I was being blown around, "buffeted", on the interstate in heavy traffic. You expect some of this when a 80,000# tractor trailer passes you, but this was way more than I was used to. Everyone told me it was the solid wheels. I did not believe them because when I was ridng with a passenger, the effect was MUCH less pronounced. I also felt a "clunk" when riding over a sharp bump that I thought the front forks would have reacted to better.

Anyway, when I reported these symptoms to the Tech, he said he would adjust the steering head bearings. He checked the steering head fall away adjustment. See page 1-31 in service manual. This is an adjustment that can be done at home on a lift.

After this work, the bike is more stable and predictable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts