V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for my '03 Road King. What sizes are you running and why?

Now running 140 rear but I'm thinking of going to 150's. I'm guessing all run stock size on front?

Recommendations?

P.S. Not certain what brand but am leaning towards the Dunlop Elite-3's. If I order online I may also have a problem with installation! Not many Indys around here!

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wandering around Ron Ayers site and noticed few tires with the wide whitewalls, which is what I want for the RK Classic. Are these more difficult to find?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
kayak99 said:
I'm guessing all run stock size on front?

QUOTE]

Not quite all. I put Metzler 150/80-16 WWW front and rear.
The front required fender mods and repaint.
see avatar
More info if interested.
I really like the result, but definitely not a bolt-on.
BTW: that size in a Wide white for the front, Only from Metzler that I could find.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
masstch said:
kayak99 said:
I'm guessing all run stock size on front?
Not quite all. I put Metzler 150/80-16 WWW front and rear.
The front required fender mods and repaint.
I think that's a wider front than I would want and I don't want to have to mod the front anyway, but thanks.

Did the 150's fit on the rear without a problrem?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Rear was a bolt-on but I did mod the belt guard just a bit by removing about a half of the rubber strip.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thorns said:
07 FLHR (With IDS...~!Awesome! ) I have Avon Venoms 150mm rear, and 130mm on front, great tires.

Thorns
Wide whitewalls?

masstch said:
Rear was a bolt-on but I did mod the belt guard just a bit by removing about a half of the rubber strip.

You modded your belt guard on your '01, 1bdBagr didn't on his '00 and Thorns didn't on his '07.

Did they change belt guards in those years or were his Avons not as wide as the Metzlers?

Wondering if I would need to mod my '03 if I went to 150's?

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I'm pretty sure the last Metzler rear WWW i got was a 150, i'll have to check. I've purchased from Ron Ayers several time without incident.

·
Registered
479 Posts
kayak99 said:
Not many Indys around here!
Do a search on the Metzler tires and read about the size of the 150's made in Brazil. Also, check the load rating of the 150's. It might be less than the 140. I'm on my 2nd set of ME880 tires on my FXD and love them. The rear is a 150, but the bike is lighter and I ride solo, so the load rating is sufficient.

Not sure where you are in W. PA, but I use an Indy in Wexford.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I use the Pingel spacer and I'm running the 142mm Dunlop. Had to trim the belt gaurd a little.

Be careful about the Metzeler 150, the load rating isn't high enough for a bagger. The Avon load rating is high enough.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FXD-Tim said:
Do a search on the Metzler tires and read about the size of the 150's made in Brazil. Also, check the load rating of the 150's. It might be less than the 140. I'm on my 2nd set of ME880 tires on my FXD and love them. The rear is a 150, but the bike is lighter and I ride solo, so the load rating is sufficient.

Not sure where you are in W. PA, but I use an Indy in Wexford.
Grove City. I often have a passenger, hence the bagger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts